Author Topic: Google Chrome???  (Read 13155 times)

WTOverdrive

Google Chrome???
« on: April 08, 2013, 04:45:04 AM »
I have been in the IT industry since before viruses were transmitted only by passing a corrupted 5.25" floppy.  Uh, I don't think there were viruses then....  hmmm.  I've watched the industry change from mainframes to the first crude PC's to the internet and now an environment where everyone is trying to get information on everyone.  In fact, when I first started writing code, the big "fear" was that information was going to be the new commodity.  How accurate those predictions became.

With the concern these days over that very topic, and because this website is dedicated to a company that promotes security, it is extremely interesting to note that one of the things you are asked to install in addition to the virus protection is Google Chrome.  Seriously?  Google Chrome is from Google.  Google is a company that is dedicated to finding out everything it can about what you do on line, what you do privately, where you go and any other thing that could possibly be sold to anyone else.  So why Chrome?  Even the Android OS for cell phones is mining data about your travels, and that is only the stuff we know for sure about.  Every time it gets 50 new GPS locations, it phones home with those, what WIFI outlets are available and texting/telephone usage.  Anyone that uses Google for anything, is only asking to give up any hope of privacy in every area that they allow to be opened.

So, Avast... why Chrome? 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Google Chrome???
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 12:16:07 PM »
you are not the first to question this.....so you find more info if you search

ianmcqui

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 03:54:40 PM »
Nice to hear others express the same opinion that it's just spyware for Google, gets hijacked by any browser hijacker and tool bar as well!

Regards, Ian.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 04:35:18 PM »
I don't have any product by Google.
Chrome is spyware.Google IE Toolbar is turbo spyware.
You cannot fully uninstall any Google product.I had to use
uninstaller software,1-Click Cleaner,CCleaner,1-Click Maintenance etc.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 11:22:55 PM »
FYI all search engines glean any information they can. Yahoo/Bing are two others than come to mind.
There is an option to opt-out of Chrome. I must admit I wish it would be opt-in "not" opt-out.

edit: I use Chrome and I don't care if they use my search activity. I don't do anything immoral or illegal.  8)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:24:47 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Aventador

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 12:16:36 AM »
LOL..............You work in IT? Yeah right. And I am Bill Gates. Google Chrome is the safest and fastest web browser available. Do you homework before making such accusations. Any IT Guru knows that Chrome is the best browser to use and also knows how to install software CAREFULLY. Its called unchecking what you do not want. Dont blame Avast for your click happy behavior. Instead thank them for recommending Google Chrome and trying to make your whole online experience safer.

FYI............I work in IT. I also run a home pc repair business. Every customer who does not use Chrome gets it installed with a tutorial on why.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 12:46:02 AM »
Every customer who does not use Chrome gets it installed with a tutorial on why.
You install Chrome "without" consulting the customer?  ???
That's worse than an opt-out policy.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 01:19:09 AM »
I don't use or like Google Chrome but I do like and use gmail.

Aventador

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 02:29:14 AM »
Every customer who does not use Chrome gets it installed with a tutorial on why.

Wow...............Please think before responding. The majority of malware cases I see come from IE users. Most of the time IE cannot be uninstalled.  When I am done removing malware I update Windows, update all Adobe and Java products. Install CCCleaner. Update the resident AV. If AV is expired or lack of an AV I install Avast. I then install Google Chrome and import all settings and bookmarks. I educate the customer on safe surfing and show them Chrome. If they do not like it the don't have to use it. No one forces anyways to use anything. The same people that complain about Chrome are the same morons who wonder how McAfee Security Scan and Norton Security Scan get installed onto there desktops. Why don't they complain to Adobe when these products get installed? How do they get installed anyways? By click happy morons. Next, next and next with even seeing what they are installing. Do you always sign paper work without reading the fine print? People love to blame others for there own ignorance.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:45:25 AM by Aventador »

ScaleCraft

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 03:45:24 AM »
Obviously you don't have much experience with gates8. Have a friend with a new laptop with gates8, did something, and not only is IE gone, he pulled the hard drive, had a friend who works for....well, they did the forensic analysis looking for any trace of IE, and it was gone.
Probably part of the EU lawsuit.
I refuse to use chrome. Chrome went out of style after the 1958 Buick.
FireFox, yes, but google is probably THE most invasive, right up there next to MicroSlime.
Yahoo, not nearly so much. Their BIG issue is e-mail hacking.
How many hacked e-mail spams do you get from a yahoo account?

Aventador

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 04:58:16 AM »
Chrome out of style.............Seriously?  IE is out of style if anything since it was the first browser. Why would I see any Win 8 problem computers? Any of those under warranty right now.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:00:20 AM by Aventador »

ScaleCraft

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 06:00:28 AM »
Chrome out of style.............Seriously?  IE is out of style if anything since it was the first browser. Why would I see any Win 8 problem computers? Any of those under warranty right now.

Obviously, and I mean really obviously, you didn't read that. Use your favourite google, and look up a 1958 Buick. Find out what I said about chrome being out of style.
Just wait on gates8.
It is a fiasco.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »
1) I then install Google Chrome and import all settings and bookmarks.
2) I educate the customer on safe surfing and show them Chrome.
3) If they do not like it the don't have to use it.
4)No one forces anyways to use anything.
1)The point being is that you install Chrome before consulting your customers.
2) You then "instruct" your customers on safe browsing.
3) If they do not like/want it...why install Chrome in the first place?
4) Are you not forcing "your" Chrome install on them?

With that attitude I would refuse to take my machine to you.
No one installs anything "without" my permission. Period
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 03:44:33 PM by Para-Noid »

Nagan

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »
Avast recommends Chrome cause its SAFE? C'mon who's kidding whom? It is a truth that none  wants to antagonize GOOGLE because of the search empire it monopolizes.
Most recommend chrome out of no choice?
 Funny , Gates and Oracle are bringing a suit against Google in EU on unfair trade practices charge. Finally Gates is beaten at his own game.

eltonzoto

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »
Hi.

Regarding to Google Empire :D. I've noticed AvastUI.exe stay connected with www.google-analytics.com. I tried to terminate the connection with it, but after a while it appears again in Avast Network Shield without opening any Internet browser. It happens only in one PC where AvastIS 8 is installed.
On other computers, with Comodo IS 6 installed, this is not happening.

Is this normal?! ::)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:16:53 PM by eltonzoto »