Author Topic: Google Chrome???  (Read 13191 times)

guestja

Re: Google Chrome???
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 05:33:38 PM »
Yeah right. And I am Bill Gates. Google Chrome is the safest and fastest web browser available.

Avast includes Chrome because It's secure in regards to Malware etc and more importantly because they get paid to do it.

I think what is being complained about is not the security of Chrome but the data mining performed by Google itself.

Offline zenzor

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 07:27:39 PM »
Hi.

Regarding to Google Empire :D. I've noticed AvastUI.exe stay connected with www.google-analytics.com. I tried to terminate the connection with it, but after a while it appears again in Avast Network Shield without opening any Internet browser. It happens only in one PC where AvastIS 8 is installed.
On other computers, with Comodo IS 6 installed, this is not happening.

Is this normal?! ::)

I'd like to know that too...

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 07:35:10 PM »
Google Analytics spying us through Avast?
How to stop it? I cannot reproduce that,maybe because
I have adblockers for all browsers.

Aventador

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »
Pathetic responses from paranoid people. What do you have to hide? I do not have any Google Analytics calling home.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:57:53 PM by Aventador »

Aventador

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 10:59:59 PM »
Every customer who does not use Chrome gets it installed with a tutorial on why.
You install Chrome "without" consulting the customer?  ???
That's worse than an opt-out policy.

LOL............Your replies are too funny. What are you gonna do call every single customer. Its a simple browser that can very easily uninstalled. You act like its a permanent thing. Are you forgetting that I also set it up from to try? If they don't like it they don't have to use it. Gezzz.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 11:10:35 PM »
You are right...I am paranoid,but that still
doesn't mean Google is "good".

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 11:59:54 PM »
Google Chrome's core business is data mining and while a majority of users came to "google" Google sits on an enormous data-mountain and is selling this information to the highest bidder.
All others do likewise and they interlink and they sell user profiles and earn on clicks. This is all going on in a stealthy way through obfuscated javascripts with multi-user hacks to get a better performance, sneaky web beacons, hidden iFrames and a lot of other techniques helped by technologies like browser and other fingerprinting and geo-location so "every" user on the interwebs is utterly and completely transparent nowadays.

So, yes, Google is a big player there, but your hoster may be doing it, a website you are visiting, your ISP, etc. etc.
I for instance work Google Chrome via Privacy Guard and a couple of extensions to diminish tracking. I tweaked the browser quite to my liking.
Cache cleaning via Click and Clean is quite effective. A pity is that there is no access to deeper layers of the browser build like as with firefox, and api's are Google's and a lot there has not been made available. It is also shown that Google Chrome is not very fond of ad-blockers (it will cost a lot of effort to let an adblocker function on a Google driven smartphone, because ad blocking is hampering Google's core business).

We can point the finger at Google but all are into it, a question of the pot calling the kettle black (see image).

Google also made the Internet a safer place with Google Safebrowing and Unmasked parasites and their active browser security technology,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

eltonzoto

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 01:07:13 AM »
On Avast IS 7, which just installed, this "Google Analytic" issue doesn't appear! :o

Born To Be Wild

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 02:51:51 AM »
I have been in the IT industry since before viruses were transmitted only by passing a corrupted 5.25" floppy.  Uh, I don't think there were viruses then....  hmmm.  I've watched the industry change from mainframes to the first crude PC's to the internet and now an environment where everyone is trying to get information on everyone.  In fact, when I first started writing code, the big "fear" was that information was going to be the new commodity.  How accurate those predictions became.

With the concern these days over that very topic, and because this website is dedicated to a company that promotes security, it is extremely interesting to note that one of the things you are asked to install in addition to the virus protection is Google Chrome.  Seriously?  Google Chrome is from Google.  Google is a company that is dedicated to finding out everything it can about what you do on line, what you do privately, where you go and any other thing that could possibly be sold to anyone else.  So why Chrome?  Even the Android OS for cell phones is mining data about your travels, and that is only the stuff we know for sure about.  Every time it gets 50 new GPS locations, it phones home with those, what WIFI outlets are available and texting/telephone usage.  Anyone that uses Google for anything, is only asking to give up any hope of privacy in every area that they allow to be opened.

So, Avast... why Chrome?

Because Google pays very well to be there.
For example Google pays millions to be default search engine in Opera and Mozilla Firefox and to have their "features" like geo location or safe browsing On.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox#Google This is nothing new. And if Google wants more something that gives them precious information Google buys it (for example Recapcha service).
I'm surprised that you're are surprised... today, while it's many years now.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:58:29 AM by Born To Be Wild »

Nagan

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 03:22:13 AM »
I have been in the IT industry since before viruses were transmitted only by passing a corrupted 5.25" floppy.  Uh, I don't think there were viruses then....  hmmm.  I've watched the industry change from mainframes to the first crude PC's to the internet and now an environment where everyone is trying to get information on everyone.  In fact, when I first started writing code, the big "fear" was that information was going to be the new commodity.  How accurate those predictions became.

With the concern these days over that very topic, and because this website is dedicated to a company that promotes security, it is extremely interesting to note that one of the things you are asked to install in addition to the virus protection is Google Chrome.  Seriously?  Google Chrome is from Google.  Google is a company that is dedicated to finding out everything it can about what you do on line, what you do privately, where you go and any other thing that could possibly be sold to anyone else.  So why Chrome?  Even the Android OS for cell phones is mining data about your travels, and that is only the stuff we know for sure about.  Every time it gets 50 new GPS locations, it phones home with those, what WIFI outlets are available and texting/telephone usage.  Anyone that uses Google for anything, is only asking to give up any hope of privacy in every area that they allow to be opened.

So, Avast... why Chrome?

Because Google pays very well to be there.
For example Google pays millions to be default search engine in Opera and Mozilla Firefox and to have their "features" like geo location or safe browsing On.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox#Google This is nothing new. And if Google wants more something that gives them precious information Google buys it (for example Recapcha service).
I'm surprised that you're are surprised... today, while it's many years now.
I am not too sure of Google paying, esp your info on Firefox default search engine. If you look closely there are other search engines in the dropdown and any silly software worth its name can also stealthily (example speedbit) install itself there and become the default engine. Google is at the top and hence its place in the order and it instead serves Firefox.

Coming to the core issue , it is not between agreements between vendors. AVAST is a security software and is supposed to be above board especially with its choice of partners and cannot in any way associate with anything/anyone  which could possibly be even a remote intrusion into the user/user habits.

Heard of AVIRA (supposed to be at one among the top antivirus few years ago). Now they are in dumps thanks to the first unwise move of promoting a known ad spyer software with their program.

Aventador

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 12:17:29 PM »
Isn't anyone aware of "Do Not Track Me" add on? Or Chromes "ingonito mode"?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 11:31:19 PM by Aventador »