Author Topic: XP lap stopped working  (Read 6508 times)

dboe

XP lap stopped working
« on: April 08, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »
Hello,

We have 30 computers that have windows XP installed on them. None of them would allow users to logon. They would get stuck on applying user settings or computer settings. I booted them all into safe mode and uninstalled avast and the all started working normally.

How can I troubleshoot this to see what's stopping them from working? The rest of our school is on windows 7 and I haven't seen this problem appear yet.

I'm kind of worried that if this problem spreads anymore that it will be a major project to fix..

Any help?

Che Johnson

Re: XP lap stopped working
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 12:44:18 PM »
If they are freezing during boot up then I would recommend to choose the attached settings in the group settings of the client to see if the issue continues, also make sure the file/printer sharing is disabled in the XP clients.

You will want to choose " Load Avast services after all other"

I hope this helps.

dboe

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »
This problem has now spread to about 15 other machines in one of our schools. These machines are windows 7. So i guess that rules out a problem with windows xp. With windows 7 they get stuck on please wait. As soon as avast is removed they login into our domain just fine.

On these i tried to boot into safe mode to make the changes you suggested, but the settings don't seem to save in safe mode.

I could try to apply that setting to every computer in the avast console, but i'm afraid that will break something else.

Any other suggestions?

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 06:05:02 PM »
Try adding \\* as exclusion for the File-System shield.

dboe

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:57:10 PM »
I will try that but doesn't that put an exception for everything? Or is it just an exception for network locations? Does avast have some kind of log that I can see what's going on?

Here is what I have tried so far.
I have disabled the following shields: Mail Shield, Firewall Shield, Exchange Shield, Network Shield, Antispam Shield.

Under troubleshooting I clicked on Load avast services only after loading other system services.

I was thinking about unchecking Enable root scan on system startup and unchecking self-defense mode..

What do you think?

95vr6man

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 05:34:55 PM »
I am having this exact same issue in labs all over my campus and off-site locations. The delay loading services setting seemed to help for a little while, but only a couple weeks later it is back in full force. All machines are windows 7 x64 and get stuck on either "applying computer settings" or "welcome", usually after a windows update has been installed.

Che Johnson

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 08:27:55 AM »
You may try, only as a test to disable the network shield on the XP computers, and see if your XP computers function better. The best way to test which shield if any are causing the issue is to unamange a client, so you can make changes to it directly so the console does not revert the changes made. Then turn all the shields off and one by one turn them back on until the issue begins again, at that time we will know which shield is causing the issue and I can then have a further look into the issue. 

Che'

Offline steveinbuffalo

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 02:39:44 PM »
What client version are you guys having issues?  I'm almost done deploying and this would blow me out of the water.

dboe

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 02:45:45 PM »
I think its the latest verison 7.0.0.1455

I did disable the network shield and the problem is still happening

The last thing I tried was adding \\* as exclusion for the File-System shield. I think this has made the biggest difference, but I worry at this point that this exclusion along with the rest of the shields I disabled probably makes finding viruses useless on the computers.

As anyone else had any luck on figuring out this problem? Can we enable a verbos mode for avast to see what its doing?