Author Topic: Have Rooted Galaxy Nexus, but how to install Avast: "Install as Root"  (Read 8193 times)

ShanghaiKnight

Ok,
I have a rooted Galaxy Nexus.  Runing 4.2. It has SuperSu as the root software.

Avast! does not recognize that my phone is rooted.  (I use titanium backup and Root Explorer, and other apps and I know that root is working FINE! )

I saw posts in the forums talking about advanced install for root, but I cannot find any option for advanced install.  I tried changing the defualt in SuperSU to "Grant" for root permission, then reinstalling Avast!  That didn't work either.  I have also tried rebooting the phone, reinstalling several times, etc.  I still cannot get Avast to recognize that it is installed on a rooted phone. 

I could try to make this into a system app with titanium backup, but I don't think that is what Avast! is talking about...

So what am I doing wrong?

ShanghaiKnight

Re: Have Rooted Galaxy Nexus, but how to install Avast: "Install as Root"
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 10:25:51 AM »
Okay,
figured it out.

Go to Avast app, then Settings and UNINSTALL the AntiTheft plugin.

Then go back one or two menus and go to the AntiTheft software option, this will prompt you to install AntiTheft again.  This time, choose Advanced settings.

Works like a charm...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Have Rooted Galaxy Nexus, but how to install Avast: "Install as Root"
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 06:53:58 PM »
Works like a charm...
Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.
The best things in life are free.

Mainframer

I've removed avast's SuperSU root permission, uninstalled avast from the Application Manager, and reinstalled it. Yet when I try to uninstall the anti-theft option I get the message: "avast! Anit-Theft must not be set as a device administrator. Please remove the device administrator setting".

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I've removed avast's SuperSU root permission, uninstalled avast from the Application Manager, and reinstalled it. Yet when I try to uninstall the anti-theft option I get the message: "avast! Anit-Theft must not be set as a device administrator. Please remove the device administrator setting".

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
It's normal. You need to go to Options > Security > Device administrators and remove manually avast! from that list.

Mainframer

The only app listed under Device administrators is Update Agent. Is that the correct app to remove?

Many thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The only app listed under Device administrators is Update Agent. Is that the correct app to remove?

Many thanks.
Yes. That's (one of) the disguised name of avast! Anti-Theft.

Mainframer

Removing Update Agent from the Administrator's list worked just great.

Many thanks for your help!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Removing Update Agent from the Administrator's list worked just great.

Many thanks for your help!
You're welcome. Come back any time you need help or want to share experiences :)