Author Topic: Avast added update and all of a sudden I have the Free Version on my computer  (Read 7765 times)

Offline jeriw

A few days ago I opened up my "paid" Avast program and it told me an update was a available and I could go ahead and download it.  I did and walked away.  When I came back it said it was done so I closed it out.  Didn't pay attention the "new" icon I had on my desktop that said "free Avast".  My computer started freezing on me a couple days later when I would boot it and would have to go to a restore point.  After I did it yesterday, and the restore worked and I could boot up my system, I noticed the "free Avast" icon was still on my computer along with my original "paid" avast Icon.  That's when it dawned on me my problem was probably when I did the Avast update.  So this morning it wouldn't boot again and I went back 10 days to my restore point and that dang Avast "free" was still there when my computer successfully booted.  So I deleted it in my remove programs (it said free avast) and now it's eaten my license code and when I go to my program and tell it to go load the file "avastlic" it won't accept it.  Something is crazy here.  I'm paid till 2014 now I don't have the complete paid for version.  Also when I did install that "update" that my paid version told me was available, it had also added programs I did not ask for like Chrome and god knows what else.  I need to know how to get Avast to accept my paid for avastlic file so I have complete protection.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast √úberevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
As you have done a system restore, probably without disabling self protection.  Avast can throw a wobbly

Download Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Boot to Safe Mode.
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Options menu appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with Networking menu item
    • Press Enter.
  • Run aswClear
  • In the Select Product to Uninstall dropdown choose the version of Avast that is on your system.

• Press Uninstall
  • Once complete reboot your system to Normal Mode
  • Reinstall Avast
  • Double click you license file to install
----------

Offline jeriw

OK, I'll print this out and try it now.  Thanks.

Offline jeriw

Well it seems fine except the blue bar at the bottom of my desktop is now white like I was I'm still in safe mode but I know it's not.  I also noticed on my Avast receipt I can put the paid version of Avast on 3 machines.  I have a laptop that I have the free version on, would I just have to download the same version that I just did for my desktop onto here and add the license file?  I'm running a scan on the desktop just to be safe then will see how everything works now.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast √úberevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Yes you can add the licence .. If updating from 7 to 8 though I would suggest a clean install

Offline Simon421

Not seeking to hijack the OP's issue but @essexboy I just wanted to say that your info in this thread was a life saver this morning.  I had updated Windows 7 today and then after a restart updated Avast to a new program version.  Restarted again and Windows wouldn't load.  So I reboot to safe mode and tried recovering Windows to pre the windows updates.  However, Windows still wouldn't load.  Worked out it must have been to do with the Avast update so I started googling and found this post.  I followed your instructions and hey presto, windows loads and Avast is up to date too.  So thank you.  I'l save your info in case of a similar problem in the future.