Author Topic: Help !!!!! all avast on every computer has stopped ?????  (Read 24779 times)

audioaudio

Help !!!!! all avast on every computer has stopped ?????
« on: April 10, 2013, 06:01:44 PM »
Hi,

I am an Avast user of many years (when it was the old icon and old fashioned interface), and always liked using it.

Today however, I turned my computers on this morning and everything was o.k. but I then went out and when I came back, they had a red X through the icon saying avast was unsecured. I opened the interface up and clicked on the "fix now" button but it will not work.
I looked at the virus definitions in the update section and it says "unknown".

At first I thought I must have virus, but it is on both computers that were on but doing nothing. I then started a laptop that has been used but not for about a week, and after boot up avast was working for a few minutes but then changed to the red X

I then tried another laptop that has not been used in about a year with the same result.

I am using version 6.0.1367 and using windows xp SP3

Please don't ask me to upgrade to the newest "cloud" version, as I do not want this at all and am very happy using the version I have.

As it has happened on 4 computers then I must assume that something on the Avast servers has done this.

Please, please help me with this as soon as you can. My computer is my work.

Thank you.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Help !!!!! all avast on every computer has stopped ?????
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:12:17 PM »
The newest version isn't a "cloud" version.
The streaming update features uses the cloud to provided you with streaming updates.
An asset in always having the latest protection as soon as it's available provided you're on-line.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

shamon

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »
Hello,

We have exactly the same problem on 2 computers.
Red cross on the Avast icon and "program stopped or instable". I tried to restart, update, Reset/Restore (?, Rétablir in French), nothing works.

We are using Avast free, XP Pro SP3.

Suggestion anyone?? This is also my work, please any help welcome......

Thanks.
Sylvie
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:16:51 PM by shamon »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:19:57 PM »
You might not want to hear this but, to get the latest protection upgrade to v8.0.1483.
Just select the "custom" install. It's always best to have the latest up-to-date security software.  :)

Uninstall utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
Latest version http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117113.msg907628#msg907628

@ shamon What version of avast are you using? By this I mean, v6.0 v7.0, v8.0?
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

audioaudio

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 07:31:37 PM »
You might not want to hear this but, to get the latest protection upgrade to v8.0.1483.

I understand what you are saying, but I like it fine the way it is, and shouldn't have stopped working because of the version.

There are many who like particular versions of various software, and Avast is no exception.

I need to know why it stopped working.

Any help appreciated please.

Born To Be Wild

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 07:37:18 PM »
I've got same problem this is urgent situation, avast not warned about this and now computers are insecure.
After todays definitions update all shields have automatically turned off and I'm unable to turn them on by pressing from menu "Enable All Shields".
This happened on 3 of my computers so it's not some standalone case but the problem caused by your todays definitions. Also the red cross is visible on the avast windows bar menu.
I've got Avast 6 and I don't want to update to newer program version 8.  I'm good with 6 and I don't like the features of 8. I hope this is not an intended action to force users to install newer software because that would be just not right and you've not warned about it otherwise I would switch updates off today.
How do I fix this issue. This is urgent situation and I'm waiting for some answers.

webber

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 07:38:02 PM »
Did the support stop?

IronHorse

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
I am also having this problem on a PC running 6.0.1367.
Don't tell me to upgrade; it's not an option. My employers VPN will not recognize any version of Avast past 6. I've tried.
My options are to either get version 6 up and running again or switch to another AV for this PC. I run version 8 pro on my other PCs, this is the only one having a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Dynaheir

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 07:46:51 PM »
Me too! It was perfectly normal in the morning hen I get vps 09-1 but when I turned it on in the evening then happened the same to as everyone else! I also using 6.1367 and running windos XP SP3!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:49:53 PM by Dynaheir »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 07:50:01 PM »
Do you have any recent unpXXXXXX files (where X are some numbers) in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Alwil Software\Avast\log (I hope I remember the path correctly...)?

Born To Be Wild

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 07:55:43 PM »
On the side note, since last 3 months Avast has significant amount of issues including many false positive. What is this? If this will occur more and more I will be forced to replace Avast with other software even though I've been using Avast for many years on Windows OS based computers. I'm thinking about clamav combined with ad-aware or some other anti-malware... what do you think about it? Or is there any other better protection either free or paid? Just no Symantec Norton Antivirus I've never liked this resource hog. I would like also something very customizable to make exclusions, type of scans, something that has at least as many features as Avast.

shamon

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 08:00:47 PM »

@ shamon What version of avast are you using? By this I mean, v6.0 v7.0, v8.0?
[/quote]

I am using v7.0.

I usually always allow automatic updates when it comes to anti-virus. I don't mind having the lastest version (unless I am being told why I shouldn't ??) but I also hope it is not an action from Avast to "force" the update. I have always been with Avast, I would be really disappointed :-(

So Para-Noid, you say I should follow this below? I will go for it if it's guaranteed to solve my problem and not create extra confusion by reinstall (yes, I am scared).
[/quote]
Uninstall utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
Latest version http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117113.msg907628#msg907628
[/quote]

Born To Be Wild

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 08:03:31 PM »
Do you have any recent unpXXXXXX files (where X are some numbers) in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Alwil Software\Avast\log (I hope I remember the path correctly...)?

Yes, 3 of them with today date (2013-04-10) named: unp31232441.tmp.mdmp , unp51579855.tmp.mdmp unp174442858.tmp.mdmp and.... 1 older (2013-03-27) unp113549710.tmp.mdmp.

flyguille

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 08:04:07 PM »
they must be having HUGE headaches by what they DID!, I imagine its support management receiving hundreds of requests.... because now this is not an Easy or Automatic-remotely fixable solution.

It is a human-by-hand solution, and they have thousands of customers that are not advanced users.

WHAT THE HELL was SOOOOOOO IMPORTANT that they sends a new virus database without betatesting IT!.

ah , other thing, why if AVAST want that everybody be up to date, why the ENGINE is not auto-upgrade too.?, I didn't know that there was a new free version, every time some popup for "upgrade avast to..." it showed for upgrade to PAYed version, not just another free, that wasn't quite clear. And I am a programmer, how many normal users will fail too.

shamon

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 08:05:02 PM »

Hi, igor

I have this :