Author Topic: Help !!!!! all avast on every computer has stopped ?????  (Read 24778 times)

audioaudio

Re: Help !!!!! all avast on every computer has stopped ?????
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 08:06:38 PM »
Do you have any recent unpXXXXXX files (where X are some numbers) in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Alwil Software\Avast\log (I hope I remember the path correctly...)?

Yes, I have four such files with those kind of numbers on them.

Come on Avast,

Let,s have some answers here. This is URGENT.

I sincerely hope this is not (as another poster suggested), some form of forced upgrade. If it is, that would be a shocking thing for an anti-virus company to do to it's users, i.e. make their computer unprotected without any warning.

Come on Avast, some answers please.

Offline Dynaheir

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 08:08:04 PM »
Are all avast affected or only version 6.1367?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 08:08:37 PM »
Yes, 3 of them with today date (2013-04-10) named: unp31232441.tmp.mdmp , unp51579855.tmp.mdmp unp174442858.tmp.mdmp and.... 1 older (2013-03-27) unp113549710.tmp.mdmp.

Please pack them into an archive with a unique name and upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
Thanks.

audioaudio

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 08:12:44 PM »
Yes, 3 of them with today date (2013-04-10) named: unp31232441.tmp.mdmp , unp51579855.tmp.mdmp unp174442858.tmp.mdmp and.... 1 older (2013-03-27) unp113549710.tmp.mdmp.

Please pack them into an archive with a unique name and upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
Thanks.

I'll do the same.

Am I to presume then that this is NOT any form of forced update ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:16:32 PM by audioaudio »

audioaudio

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 08:18:32 PM »
Hang on.

Just realised; How do you pack then and upload them ? Some instruction on how to do this please.

flyguille

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 08:19:34 PM »
hehehe I am wearing the AVAST T-SHIRT since 3 years ago, so every customer that brought his CPU (with AVG or shitty Norton), they took his *new top tech / recommended / antivirus solution for free*, and some lessons for not accepting norton scan module when installing some software.

now I am in the middle of a storm of calls and I have NOT a handy solution yet.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:21:39 PM by flyguille »

Born To Be Wild

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 08:22:59 PM »
Do you have any recent unpXXXXXX files (where X are some numbers) in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Alwil Software\Avast\log (I hope I remember the path correctly...)?

Yes, I have four such files with those kind of numbers on them.

Come on Avast,

Let,s have some answers here. This is URGENT.

I sincerely hope this is not (as another poster suggested), some form of forced upgrade. If it is, that would be a shocking thing for an anti-virus company to do to it's users, i.e. make their computer unprotected without any warning.

Come on Avast, some answers please.

Yeah, I actually could upgrade but what I don't like are the some new unnecessary features e.g. remote assistance (this seem for me like the backdoor left to hack my machines even if it's turned off), cloud streaming updates (cmon it connects with network all the time I monitor my network for every single connection made from and to my computer and I just don't like to see it popping all the time besides anything keept on the cloud might be more vulnerable to be hacked/manipulated because it's spread oh many machines so the risk is higher, sure it's faster but...) another thing I don't like are those web reps... I just hate it, no one will inspect what sites I browse and tell me if they are good to go or not. And of course that google chrome and toolbars... I know that in the version 7 there was the possibility to untick some of those and turn some other off in the settings after an installation but to avoid possible headaches I just decided to keep with older version because if engine and definitions are up to date that's all I need, I don't need any new features like the ones mentioned above. I've got no idea how it looks in newest version 8 though, I might test it out on my spare machine later but now I need my old Avast to be ON.

IronHorse

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »
Igor,
I'm not having any luck using anonymous ftp to upload to ftp.avast.com/incoming. I have four dump files, how should I upload them to you?
Thanks
Robin

IronHorse

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 08:36:23 PM »
Igor,
Dumps in file Avast_dumps_6.0.1367_20130410a.zip for you in the incoming directory.
Uploading with Windows Explorer worked fine, I had been trying to use the command line version of ftp. Sorry.

Robin.

audioaudio

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 08:37:15 PM »
Yeah, I actually could upgrade but what I don't like are the some new unnecessary features e.g. remote assistance (this seem for me like the backdoor left to hack my machines even if it's turned off), cloud streaming updates (cmon it connects with network all the time I monitor my network for every single connection made from and to my computer and I just don't like to see it popping all the time besides anything keept on the cloud might be more vulnerable to be hacked/manipulated because it's spread oh many machines so the risk is higher, sure it's faster but...) another thing I don't like are those web reps... I just hate it, no one will inspect what sites I browse and tell me if they are good to go or not. And of course that google chrome and toolbars... I know that in the version 7 there was the possibility to untick some of those and turn some other off in the settings after an installation but to avoid possible headaches I just decided to keep with older version because if engine and definitions are up to date that's all I need, I don't need any new features like the ones mentioned above. I've got no idea how it looks in newest version 8 though, I might test it out on my spare machine later but now I need my old Avast to be ON.

Totally agree with this all the way. I like Avast 6 just the way it is and I have my doubts about the suitability of they way 7 and 8 work, but either way, shouldn't I have a CHOICE over what I put on my computer ? If it is working o.k. for me, why push new software on users if they don't want it. I can't remember (so numerous is the count), of the times I have used software for it to be "upgraded" only to find it then works nowhere near as well as it used to ( Adaware for instance who have decided that they will make you REMOVE your A/V if you want to use their anti-spyware programme as they have forced the inclusion of their own A/V into it). I no-longer use it anymore because of this.

Avast,  what's taking so long ?

Is an official reply too much to  ask ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:40:21 PM by audioaudio »

Born To Be Wild

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 08:46:53 PM »

Thanks.

I hope that dump files do not include any personal information about my files  etc but only avast information and maybe system information. I've just  uploaded them (dump-BornToBeWild.zip). I can't see it in the "incoming" directory but I assume that it's visible only for you.

flyguille

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »

Thanks.

I hope that dump files do not include any personal information about my files  etc but only avast information and maybe system information. I've just  uploaded them (dump-BornToBeWild.zip). I can't see it in the "incoming" directory but I assume that it's visible only for you.

why? do you still have those scheme for doing a nuclear bomb DIY? jejeje ;)

Born To Be Wild

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 08:57:55 PM »

Thanks.

Nah, but I use my computer to work as I'm webmaster and whole my life rolls about the web, I've got bank passwords, business plans, hosting accounts passwords, domain registrar passwords just to name a few.. really all my life. :) Of course I don't even keep it on the harddrive but it's secured and encrypted on external disk but I'm not cleaver enough to know what information that Avast dump files store. I'm always a little paranoid about my stuff but so far it did not hurt me and I can say that being a little paranoid even helps sometimes to avoid many problems.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:59:29 PM by Born To Be Wild »

IronHorse

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 09:05:24 PM »

Thanks.

Nah, but I use my computer to work as I'm webmaster and whole my life rolls about the web, I've got bank passwords, business plans, hosting accounts passwords, domain registrar passwords just to name a few.. really all my life. :) Of course I don't even keep it on the harddrive but it's secured and encrypted on external disk but I'm not cleaver enough to know what information that Avast dump files store. I'm always a little paranoid about my stuff but so far it did not hurt me and I can say that being a little paranoid even helps sometimes to avoid many problems.
The question is not whether or not you're paranoid. The question is, "Are you paranoid enough?"

HDW38

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 09:11:52 PM »
Hi!

Since the version '6.0.1367' avast changed the whole database concerning constuction , saving and more. Even the name of the 'avast'-archive changed from 'Alwil Software' into 'AVAST Software'!
So (with all this very old stuff) it can't work! Only a clean install helps!
Upgrading from version 7 to version 8 shouldn't be a problem: you can install the latest version '8.0.1483' without a clean install.

HDW38