Author Topic: Avast Pro 8 Update Locking Up Computer  (Read 9067 times)

TAJ

Avast Pro 8 Update Locking Up Computer
« on: March 04, 2013, 04:12:46 PM »
iMac with 8 GB RAM
   OS 10.6.8
   Parallels 6.0.1.12092
   Windows XP Pro SP2 with internet access blocked except for anti-virus updates
   ZoneAlarm - free
   Avast 8.0.1482 - paid
   Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

I've used Avast for years, but a recent engine update is causing me major problems.  I'm to the point of uninstalling it.  I'm using only a portion of its features because the Windows desktop has NO connection to the internet other than Avast and Adobe Reader.  No other program is allowed to connect.  It is NOT used for internet work at all (only the Mac side connects with the internet).  I keep Adobe Reader updated, but that's it.  The recent engine update brings up a screen for me to install updates for Flash Player (not needed) as well as Adobe Reader, but freezes, locking up the Windows desktop . . . . .  I have to shut down the virtual machine and start over (a restart does NOT work).

This is infuriating.  I've set Avast so that the modules for email/ etc. are turned off.  I do NOT need them.  Frankly, I'd be better off with the free version (which is what I reverted to on my Mac laptop which has the same configuration of Windows XP Pro).  I do NOT like having to do anything in Safe Mode as it completely fouls up my icon layout.  Am I better off to uninstall Avast Pro and return to the free version?  Or, is there a way to STOP the behavior that's locking up my Windows desktop EVERY TIME I turn it on?
TAJ

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast Pro 8 Update Locking Up Computer
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »
Sounds like you don't want the software updater, go to remove programs and click on avast then uninstall and once you get the popup screen click on change and untick all the option you don't want.

Note that there is also problems between avast and Zone Alarm currently and uninstalling ZA rectifies the problem.

gwagnon

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 02:25:30 AM »
I too am having a similar problem, but with Windows XP Pro.

I  was using version 7 very successfully, and without issues, when I made the mistake of accepting the offer to update to version 8.  I am current on all MS patches.  Using the MS Windows firewall.

After my system boots up, Avast 8 starts, but tells me that my system is unprotected, and that none of the shields are started.  If you try to start them, the machine will hang indefinitely, requiring a forced power off shutdown.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times, but nothing fixes this.  Is there any solution known, or do I just need to use some other product?  I was very happy with version 7 and have often encouraged many other Windows users to adopt Avast!.

TAJ

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 05:53:26 PM »
I tried the suggestions to no avail.  I had to restart my computer three times this morning.  I'm officially DONE!  I uninstalled Avast Pro completely.  Then, I downloaded and installed the free version, making certain that no file, script or behavior boxes were checked.  I fear that's where the problem rested.  I'd unchecked most of them in the Pro version, but . . . no joy.

I'd give anything to be able to go back to version 7 which worked perfectly!  If I have any more trouble with the software, I'm gone for good.  I should've known NOT to update the program/engine.  All I really need updated are the virus signatures.  I think this is a case where major changes to the program/engine should NOT overwrite the existing program so that one could revert to the tried and true one.
TAJ

true indian

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
ZA is the one thats the culprit of the issue remove ZA and first and test again.

TAJ

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 06:41:16 PM »
Nope, it's not Zone Alarm!  I solved the problem by uninstalling version 8 (both paid and free), finding a download of 7 and reinstalling it!  I'll never update the program again.  It IS bloated with far more stuff than I want or need.  I've learned my lesson about Avast program upgrades; never again.  Virus signatures, yes.  With a computer that does not interact with the internet all the new stuff is unnecessary and conflicts with Parallels. 
TAJ

ddalbiez

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 08:12:54 PM »
ZA is the one thats the culprit of the issue remove ZA and first and test again.
No, trueindian, stop writing this.
Avast 7 + ZA firewall ===> everything working
Upgrade to Avast 8 + ZA firewall ===> problems
Downgrade to Avast 7 + ZA firewall ===> everything working
Your conclusion: ZA is the problem
My (and other's) conclusion: Avast 8 is the problem

Offline trek1701

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 10:28:52 PM »
I find that if you open up the GUI of avast free antivirus in windows sp3 xp pro it will slow down the log off, restart, or shutdown process even when the GUI is closed afterwards.  It just sits there till the option that you selected engages.  It seems to be about a minute before it does engage.  If you don't open the GUI after a new reboot of the system there is no slowdown of the log off, restart or shutdown options.  In short don't open the GUI unless you need to change something within it.

7harry

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:42:51 PM »
I too am having a similar problem, but with Windows XP Pro.

I  was using version 7 very successfully, and without issues, when I made the mistake of accepting the offer to update to version 8.  I am current on all MS patches.  Using the MS Windows firewall.

After my system boots up, Avast 8 starts, but tells me that my system is unprotected, and that none of the shields are started.  If you try to start them, the machine will hang indefinitely, requiring a forced power off shutdown.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times, but nothing fixes this.  Is there any solution known, or do I just need to use some other product?  I was very happy with version 7 and have often encouraged many other Windows users to adopt Avast!.
This is the exact problem I'm having. There is something wrong with ver.8.
I can run it manually, but essentially, avast won't start and my system is unprotected. I've wasted a couple of hours now, but if there is no "fix" by Thurs. I am uninstalling the program.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:57:06 PM by 7harry »

true indian

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 01:29:26 PM »
>>>http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116838.msg907430#msg907430

be patient!! this and some other bugs will also be promptly fixed today 

if you cant be patient revert back to v7 and await the fix:
http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

EDIT: Fix released:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117113.0
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:04:27 PM by true indian »

acsengineering

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 07:12:16 PM »
No, I have to disagree. This fix does not solve my problem.
I can boot up fine. Avast 8 starts up and after a few seconds, a red X appears over the icon in the system tray.
If I open the GUI, all services are off, and it says in some places that I am registered and in others that I am NOT registered. If I try to restart any services or re-register, the computer hangs indefinitely and I have to power off and reboot. The only times I have had a successful registration have been immediately after a clean install. Then at some point later I find I have been (half) unregistered.

Several times, I have removed Avast with aswclear.exe in safe mode and reinstalled Avast. With Zone Alarm, Avast 8 never worked at all. Then I took Zone Alarm off, too, and did another clean install of Avast 8. This seemed to work. For a day or two. Then the red X showed up again (probably after the first reboot after installation finished?). I am now using Windows Firewall, with exceptions flagged for Avast. No luck.

This is a Dell Precision M90 with Windows XP SP3.
Avast 8
Zone Alarm at first, now just Windows Firewall.
All Windows updates are installed.
All Avast updates are installed.

I have used Avast for years, and I have to admit that pretty much every major update has caused a lot of headaches for a while until the bugs got worked out. This time is taking an unacceptably long time. I have wasted enough time trying to make this work. If this doesn't get fixed pronto, I may switch back to version 7, but it will only be to hold me over until I have a chance to research another program to move to.