Poll

IS it now illegal to ask about this from you software vendor???

Yes, it's part of the user agreement
0 (0%)
No, one should be able to get manual de-installation instructions if the uninstaller fails.
2 (100%)
I have no idea
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Default installation folder/files and registry settings  (Read 3299 times)

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
Default installation folder/files and registry settings
« on: April 10, 2013, 08:48:29 PM »
Oke people I like to know if I am completely wrong in asking software vendors about standard installation folders and paths (registry settings) when needed to completely clean out a failed installation.

I am asking something I should first sign a NON-disclosure form for or what.

If so where may I find this (thinking about  EULA / Users Agreement).

The floor is yours.
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Default installation folder/files and registry settings
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:16:07 PM »
To completely "uninstall" avast use http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
Why sign a non-disclosure form?
The EULA for free can be found here http://files.avast.com/files/legal/eula-avast-free.pdf

I'm not exactly sure on what you are asking nor am I sure about the reason for your poll?  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
Re: Default installation folder/files and registry settings
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:27:56 PM »
The uninstaller fails to remove registry settings.
While it may remove the more obvious program folders I am aware the software installs also in Windows\System32.

Since I ran into problems getting the re-installation to work properly I like to know where I can find everything (*.exe, *.dll etc) of the installation so i can shift through my Windows  and program files folders etc to be able to be sure I clean it out completely.

At some point I am given a line that I may not get this information as it would be against the security policies of the software vendor.

I refined the poll in the hopes I am made aware what I can or can not ask of a software vendor.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:35:38 PM by CaptainLeonidas »
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!