Author Topic: XP compatibility query  (Read 2041 times)

moon-river

XP compatibility query
« on: April 11, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »
Hello Avast guys. :) Would you kindly tell me - are you no longer supporting XP (yes I know!)? I have been using Avast Free Anti-Virus for a long time........hope I don't have to change? Please see my last post copied below.

I was having this problem too with XP - Avast intermittently wouldn't load at start-up and when that happened I couldn't do a proper shutdown either - had to manually turn off. Just uninstalled it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: XP compatibility query
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 01:29:21 PM »
avast! is supporting XP as it is always did.
Startup and Shutdown issues in XP aren't necessarily connected with avast!
We need more info to say anything about your issue.
The best things in life are free.

moon-river

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
Thanks for your response Tech - glad to hear you're still supporting XP. Started to get problems intermittently after upgrading to 8, the Avast icon didn't show sometimes in the system tray and when I tried to open it through the start menu nothing happened. When I tried to turn off the computer to re-boot, again nothing happened? I previously posted under  YrbkMgr's "Avast Will Not Load at Startup After Update (Windows XP)" thread - seemed others had similar problems........although I take your point.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. (Optional) If you want, save your avast! settings for later restoration (Settings > Maintenance > Back up).
4. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
5. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
6. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
7. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
8. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.

moon-river

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 02:16:07 PM »
Okay Tech, will do, thank you very much for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 06:30:15 PM »
Okay Tech, will do, thank you very much for your help.
You're welcome.