Author Topic: Avast 8 not completing scans on XP.  (Read 6083 times)

VicVegas

Avast 8 not completing scans on XP.
« on: April 11, 2013, 02:44:05 PM »
Avast Version: 8.0.1483

Avast scans are completing too quickly and it clearly isn't even scanning near as many files as it should be. A full system scan completed in under 3 minutes and only scanned 45,730 files, when it typically is in the hundreds of thousands.

I've tried repairing it, I've tried reinstalling it, nothing is making it work correctly. Though beyond the inability to complete a scan it's working fine. Also I've noticed that avast has been scanning an "SVC:" area that I hadn't noticed in other scans before.

I'm going to attempt running scans on other computers to see if I get the same results, since they've all been updated recently. And to be on the safe side I'm going to run a few additional scans with programs like MBAM to see if there's anything running amok.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: The scans were also getting stuck on said "SVC:" files until I reinstalled, then it started finishing too quickly. Similar prob here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=107878.0

Update:
The problem is secluded to this computer. Scans running normally on other machines. Started up MBAM and it's already past 80k files on the XP, so I'm assuming Avast is the only program having troubles. I'll run aswMBR after MBAM is done.

Edit 2:
So I'm gathering that a recent set of Windows and Avast updates are causing troubles in various areas. Perhaps I have to do a complete safe-mode uninstall? That's irritating. I guess I'll try it if there are no responses by noon. :-\
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:30:41 PM by VicVegas »

zosobob6

Re: Avast 8 not completing scans on XP.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 05:57:35 PM »
I am having this same problem!  Im not sure what to do either. :(

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:05:50 AM »
What happens if you create a custom scan to test the system partition only (instead of using the full system scan)? Or when you scan the drive from the Explorer context menu?

VicVegas

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:09:13 AM »
Running a folder scan of "C:\program files" did seem to work, though it took it 2 minutes before the scan even did anything. Running a custom scan of "System Drive" scanned nothing at all. I haven't done a full removal yet, seeing as I fell asleep midway through the day, so I may just wait and try it tomorrow.

Edit: Oh look, another person with a similar problem. This is not an isolated issue, this last Windows or Avast update must have done something. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=121003.0
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:13:47 AM by VicVegas »

zosobob6

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 12:57:14 PM »
Im leaning more towards its a Windows update problem.  I haven't had any problems with Avast(ever!) until I installed the newest Windows update a day or two ago.

VicVegas

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 02:07:09 PM »
Well I love blaming Microsoft and all, but no other programs seem to be broken at this time. Either way, it's not like Microsoft is going to fix the problem any time soon. Gonna completely remove Avast with the removal tool then reinstall now.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 02:25:50 PM »
What exactly is "nothing at all"  - zero files, zero folders, no error?
What if you uncheck the option "Speed up scanning by reading files in order they are stored on disk" on the Performance page of the custom scan settings?
Is there anything special about your drive? (filesystem, imaging software used, ...)
Thanks.

VicVegas

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 03:05:01 PM »
I've completely reinstalled by removing it with the removal tool (after uninstalling it via add/remove) then installing the latest version. I then tried to run a normal full system scan, in which it froze up on a file called "SVC: {a bunch of numbers I should have written down} >???" and yes the ">???" bit was an actual part of it, and it was shown on several other "SVC:" files as well.

The custom scan at the time came up with 0 files, yes. And the answer is no to all of your other questions. I'll try another custom scan in a bit.

I tried running a system restore, but it failed, so nothing changed.

VicVegas

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 05:14:52 PM »
Custom scan ran smoothly after following your advice. Trying others with this change...

Mufflili

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 06:35:11 PM »
Same problem here. Scan works when i uncheck this option, but else it gets always stuck at the SVC-files. (but its on Win 7)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:39:00 PM by Mufflili »

VicVegas

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 12:01:12 AM »
Eyup. All scans working this way. It slows it down a bit, but it should act as a temporary fix. Fingers crossed that a proper solution can be found.

marcTremblay

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 04:01:52 PM »
Hello
i have the same problem
full scan doesn't work
i alos try a customed scan, but that make my Pc freeze...
i use Avast for a long time and i do not want to change, but know i don't know what to do
i also uninstall desinstalled it but it doesn't change anything...i hope that Bug will be fixed...
in fact it's always the same for the full or even the qucik scann : avast start to scann, it stopped on svc for a will and then he stopped and say everything is ok...but he doesn't complet the scann...

Thanks for helping me

marcTremblay

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 04:28:54 PM »
Hello
i unchecked this option and right know my quick scann seems to work properly
i will test after that with a full scan

thanks for the help

marcTremblay

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 06:22:34 PM »
Hello
i successfully performed a full scan with the option unchecked. This tips work well, but i hope that will be fixed...

MSutton

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 05:06:05 AM »
Wanted to add I am having the same problem, using XP, Avast Free, and I also have Malwarebytes.  I also did updates on Windows and Mbam a few days ago.  Not only are the scans not running, but the program goes wonky at the end of an attempt, with the main page coming up with a warning that shields are turned off before it returns to normal, and once it said my program wasn't registered and I had to re-start.  I will try the work-around suggested here, but I wanted to add my two cents, so Avast knows this may be widespread.