Author Topic: Fresh avast install  (Read 3069 times)

winbuckshot

Fresh avast install
« on: April 12, 2013, 03:50:10 AM »
Hello, My OS is windows 8 64 bit on a gateway laptop & I apologize if I posted in wrong section or there is probably tons of posts about this but I tried uninstalling avast in safe mode using avast downloaded uninstaller and when I reinstall it says after installation is complete that it has found a previous antivirus and should be uninstalled whether it is avast or windows defender which is installed from factory but is not on because avast is installed. Norton security was on here pre installed and I removed it when it expired with windows uninstaller. I've tried uninstalling avast in normal windows and safe mode. I also tried uninstalling using an advanced uninstaller with a scan to remove fragments left on hard drive and registry but same message. Avast does work however with no issues but I didn't want to leave that on my computer knowing its not a clean install. Any help appreciated Thanks.

Joe S

Re: Fresh avast install
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 05:46:45 AM »
Go to Norton's site and look for their uninstaller and run it in safe mode.
Joe

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 05:59:42 AM »
Norton/Symantec tool can be found here https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080828154508EN_EndUserProfile_en_us;jsessionid=A888E7124C15B39876FB9F102EF92B06.4?entsrc=redirect_pubweb&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1

Run as per instructions on page then you should be able to run the avast removal tool ( aswclear.exe ) http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility reboot and re-install avast http://www.avast.com/download-software ( "NOTE" Download and save prior to removing your current antivirus )

winbuckshot

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Thanks for your help I did exactly as described how ever I still get this message written in red on the bottom of the setup finished screen with a smiley face saying, your installation is now complete etc..... then in red letters on the bottom of page (we have detected a previous antivirus is still installed on your pc for most effective security, we recommend to uninstall your previous software.) That must be windows defender it is disabled however windows defender is integrated in my control panel windows 8 and does not show up in the installed programs for removal. I don't think its hurting anything disabled and is nice to have if something happens to avast or need to uninstall avast,  it will advise me to turn it on for protection. You should take this in consideration for the next avast update so people don't waste there time installing uninstalling avast or messing with windows components. Thanks for your help and other suggestions appreciated.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 06:00:05 PM »
Avast may be detecting Defender as you mentioned but as long as avast automatically shuts down Defender on install then all should be fine.

winbuckshot

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 11:26:23 PM »
Ok thanks we will leave it at that.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 08:16:35 AM »
No problems :)