Author Topic: Yet more URL time-out problems with 623  (Read 7685 times)

Papanoc

Yet more URL time-out problems with 623
« on: March 17, 2005, 05:51:00 AM »
What gives here guys?
I've tried the patch and relaxed Zone Alarms as much as I can and still as of the last Avast update 3/16/2005, I still have to disable webshield to browse the net.

As of 3/14/2005 I was getting to like Webshield a lot. I sure hope this can be fixed soon!

WinXP-SP2
IE6 (2180) Sp2
Avast 4.6.623

jingarfield

Re: Yet more URL time-out problems with 623
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 09:14:35 AM »
I have applied 4.6.623 this morning, and I too could not load any pages.

I applied the patch as detailed on another thread, but having re-booted I still have the same problem.

It seems that if I stop the Webshield (via the Avast Interface) and then re-start it all seems OK, but I wonder if it is actually running after the re-start:w ith the Webshield indicating it is running I do not see the "Scanned count" doing anything other than showing 0 files. Additionally, with the "Show detailed info on performed action" button ticked it is no longer telling me what it is doing on screen.

Just noticed that it has "The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start" at the top of the screen. I don't know what it is waiting for.

Win XP, SP2, patched up to date.
No additional firewalls.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 11:26:18 AM by jingarfield »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 11:47:14 AM »

Just noticed that it has "The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start" at the top of the screen. I don't know what it is waiting for.

Where did you see this message? Was this the status of WebShield provider? This would mean that WebShield did not start properly - which is bad. :-(

jingarfield

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 01:17:10 PM »
Hello lukor,

I rebooted the PC again, and all seems to be fine at the moment.

The number of files scanned by WebShield is now incrementing, and the WebShield successfully trapped the eicar test file.

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond.

Jon Ingarfield.

Papanoc

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 05:27:35 PM »
The patch has kicked into effect after a few reboots and now Webshield has left the building. I even tried to manually restart it in XP Services but now I get:

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Service Control Manager
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   7022
Date:      3/17/2005
Time:      9:52:51 AM
User:      N/A
Computer:   TNOC
Description:
The avast! Web Scanner service hung on starting.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Does anyone have a handle on this problem?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 07:01:35 PM »
Reboot again and if you get the same problem, I would suggest that you try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, avast! Anti-Virus, Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jingarfield

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 07:02:39 PM »
I too am still having problems.

I was able to browse the web for a couple of hours, but the browser then hung up.

Stopping the WebShield allowed me to continue to browse the web.

I am unable to restart the Webshield, getting "The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start" message.

Nothing seems reported in the XP Events viewer, but if I check services the avast! Web Scanner has a status of "stopping" and I cannot do anything to start it, short of a re-boot.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 07:04:28 PM by jingarfield »

jingarfield

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 07:08:00 PM »
Just to add that I am able to terminate the ashWebSv.exe process via Task Manager and re-start it via services. This re-establishes the provider and my ability to browse the web.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 07:27:14 PM »
I'm seeing for jingarfield's posts that, maybe the order on how WebShield is enabled (windows services, programs, startup items, connection available, etc.) could be a possibility that some problems were solved: I am able to terminate the ashWebSv.exe process via Task Manager and re-start it via services. This re-establishes the provider and my ability to browse the web.  ::)
The best things in life are free.

jingarfield

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 07:40:48 PM »
It's just locked up on me again; and just at the wrong moment - just lost an ebay auction for a cd I was after  :'(

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 07:47:57 PM »
Sorry to hear that... :-\

Anyway, since we're not fortune-tellers it would be probably better to approach the problem in a slightly more "scientific" way... :)

Well... the only reliable way to find out what the problem is is to create a dump file with the aid of a debugger. It would take you 15-20 minutes though ...

Here are the instructions for installing and using the debugger: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1040;start=msg5657#msg5657 . The procedure should be identical as the one described in that thread - with one exception - you wouldn't be debugging ashSimpl.exe but (obviously) ashWebSv.exe instead.

All I need is the dump file, created at the moment when the web access was stuck.

If you don't feel you can do it - just don't worry about that, hopefully we'll find another solution.

BTW - you can SKIP the .symfix command in this case.

Thanks a lot
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jingarfield

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 07:59:17 PM »
 :) Not to worry - I spend too much money on ebay anyway!!

I will attempt the debug procedure you suggested.

Papanoc

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 10:15:29 PM »
Well now this is amusing. I downloded the debugger and got it ready and proceeded to do a repair first. On a whim I decided to do a complete power down before I went into the procedure and it was a good thing. :)

Just as with other posters as soon as I brought it back up it came up perfect with webshield functioning. I've since rebooted several times and it seems to be working nicely now.

So, I sez to myself what a wonderful world. Now if this squirrely rascal returns, I'm going to be sending you some data!

jingarfield

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 08:22:35 AM »
Good morning; well it's morning here in the UK.

My browser stopped displaying pages this morning, so I have undertaken the debug procedure you described.

The zipped version of the debug file is 13Mb - is it OK to email this to someone?

Please advise.

Thanks and Regards,

Jon Ingarfield.