Author Topic: avast! stops checking the system at the same file  (Read 1865 times)

Mufflili

avast! stops checking the system at the same file
« on: April 12, 2013, 06:15:06 PM »
I have a new PC (Win 7), it's a week old now.
I installed avast (the first programm after my drivers).
Now i got a problem:
I wanted to check my System for Viruses. But avast! always stops at the same file, after 15,2 GB: C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
And the bar stays at 0%! 15,2 GB should be around 15% of my stuff right now. the reading speed of my SSD goes down to about 30 MB/s.
And sometimes i cant even stop it and have to restart my PC for it to stop!

i dont know whats wrong, hope for help!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:19:54 PM by Mufflili »

Arbilac74

Re: avast! stops checking the system at the same file
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:11:28 PM »
Same problem for my laptop, speed scan and full scan take more than 30 minutes on the same file C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe. It means that my laptop is not protected.

The problem begins today ! I hope Avast members read this forum !

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: avast! stops checking the system at the same file
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »
We'd need to get the dump of the AvastSvc.exe process taken at the moment the scan is frozen, to be able to say what is going on.
To create it, you'd need to disable the avast! self-defense first (Settings / Troubleshooting), maybe also stop the Behavior Shield (it used to interfere with dumping our processes, as far as I remember) - and then start the scan. When it freezes, you can use the Task Manager (on Vista and higher): click on "Show processes from all users", select AvastSvc.exe, rightclick it and choose Create Dump File. After the dump is done, the window shows you the location of the dump - so you'd compress the file and upload it to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming

I would also ask first (in case the scanner doesn't actually freeze, but rather crashes - which may look as a freeze from the UI point of view) - do you have any recent unpXXXXXXXX files (where X are some numbers) in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log, with timestamps corresponding to the "freezes"?

Thanks.