Author Topic: bart cd is not bootable  (Read 16777 times)

wilhelm

bart cd is not bootable
« on: September 19, 2003, 12:57:08 AM »
I just purchased and tried to create a bootable cd.  I did run the update first, and the iso created, but the cd I created from the iso is NOT bootable, nor does it have any bin file to be bootable.  The cd also has several directories such as my documents folders which are empty and appear to be there by mistake??
Is there something wrong with this product or is there some special method of burning the iso that I am unfamiliar with?

kubecj

Re:bart cd is not bootable
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 02:42:52 AM »
Something's got wrong, probably.  :o

Can you, please, send me files:
avast4\setup\setup.ini
avast4\setup\setup.log

and directory listing of avast4\setup. You can make it from command prompt by
dir *.* >list.txt

Please also tell me how long is the iso file.

Doesn't re-creating the iso help? (I suggest using CD-RW for such tests, if you don't want to get a pile of toasters).

my email is kubecj AT asw DOT cz

thanks,
« Last Edit: September 19, 2003, 02:44:56 AM by kubecj »

w0mbat

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 05:37:17 AM »
Hi Wilhelm,

I to have the BART CD.
The empty documents folders are normal. They have to be there however for this lite version of XP.
The .dat files are in the I386 dir. I think the important one is bootfix.dat, but may be wrong!!  ;)

The other thing to check is that you CDR unit is set to be a bootable device in BIOS, and that it is listed before you HHD-0 or C drive.

Just something to check :)

Cheers

w0mbat

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 08:30:11 AM »
Right, and what is the total size of files on the CD? That should be enough for a rough estimate whether the CD got burned correctly or not...

Of course, as w0mbat suggested, making sure that the machine has the correct boot-up sequence set up in BIOS should be the first thing to check... :)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

wilhelm

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 08:44:54 PM »
:) no not a bios problem, other bootable cd's work, this one fails to boot on multiple systems.  I'm used to some bin files on bootable cd's and they aren't appearing on the disk.

The image is 152 megabytes- have burned twice with the same size- perhaps there was something wrong with the update?  I did that update first.

Am mailing the requested files, thanks for the help.

also a related question, I thought I could boot to cd and then use a floppy disk to store updated virus definitions, but I cannot fine any instructions on how to do that- is this actually an available feature in this version?

Thanks

kubecj

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2003, 12:01:36 AM »
I too have the BART CD.

Do you have the latest version with latest VPS update? Should be 0309-02. Does that cd boot?

I just want to be sure if it's a general problem or not.

kubecj

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2003, 12:06:03 AM »
:) no not a bios problem, other bootable cd's work, this one fails to boot on multiple systems.  I'm used to some bin files on bootable cd's and they aren't appearing on the disk.

What does it do when you try to boot it?

Do you have some tool like IsoBuster handy? Can you open the iso and check its structure? There should be file bootfix.bin in i386 directory. If you can see it in the ISO, do you see it on the disc?

Am mailing the requested files, thanks for the help.

Files look like that everything is normal.

w0mbat

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2003, 04:51:46 AM »
Hi Guys.

302-9 boots just fine for me.
ISO size 160,389,120

cheers

w0mbat

kubecj

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2003, 01:14:48 PM »
302-9 boots just fine for me.

Thanks, good to know. So it seems that wilhelm has some other problem.