Author Topic: AVAST Internet security is crashing my computer  (Read 9074 times)

jenray

AVAST Internet security is crashing my computer
« on: April 12, 2013, 11:07:17 PM »
I am having serious trouble with my AVAST Internet Security 8 over the last two days. I have Windows XP. I have uninstalled as advised by an agent using aswclear.exe and reinstalled the new copy and installed the licence attached, and every time I try to do a scan it stops after a minute or so and says there is no threat found. The full scan crashes my computer completely. Freezes everything so I have to turn off via the tower. Three times I've followed AVAST's instructions of how to cure this problem and nothing has worked. Seriously thinking of getting a full refund as we only purchased this new two year contract two weeks ago. Anybody else got any good ideas on how to cure this? My husband has Windows 7 and the same software did the same to his laptop but then corrected itself and now runs perfectly?? Mine is a disaster area. I'm not running any other virus checkers or malware progs either.

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
Re: AVAST Internet security is crashing my computer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 01:22:29 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116309.45

reply #57.

Give it a try.
I am assuming the de-installation is half done but that's something I know.

Note: No feedback from Avast Support on the matter to make it more official. I asked they refused.
Basically Avast support told me to go soak myself in flammable liquids and light myself up when I asked for the list of files folders and registry settings that are created during setup. Them info being Trade secrets or whatever..

Guess they lack knowledge of Admin Studio which basically will tell you the difference between a pre and post installation...
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

jenray

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 03:01:18 PM »
I've tried everything including the vpsupd.exe and it's still cutting out on the scan. AVAST says they are in the process of sorting out the database issues so let's hope they do because, up till now, I've been very happy with AVAST...will give them a chance to sort it but they really should be more forthcoming about the problems. Like put up a public message saying what they're doing to sort the problem and when it's likely to be put out or uploaded.

Offline CaptainLeonidas

• Security rests between the display and the chair.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 02:20:30 PM »
What does a mini-dump of the OS tell you?
If a PC crashes it usually is a driver in the way.. The Mini-dump might give clues.
OS's used: Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1607 <-> Windows 7 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 8.1 Ult (x64) <-> Windows 2012 Essentials R2 (x64)
Avast Internet Security (sub for 10 PC's), HPM.Alert, Malwarebytes, Asus-x99 Deluxe/U3.1 (Intel Core i7 X980 EE - 64Gb Ram - NVidia Geforce x980 - Samsung PCI-e 950Pro 512 SSD), Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (6th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU - 16Gb Ram - 512 SSD)
When installing Avast! be sure to use the custom install... never the default!

jenray

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »
Thanks for the response but I don't know where to look for this? And if it is, how do I correct the problem?

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 11:03:19 AM »
You will  find minidump files here:Start-My Computer-Windows-MiniDump or you can create support package for Avast team,how to create support package,follow this instructions: Open AIS-Support-Scroll down to Genrate support package and select all little squares and press Generate Now,all you have to do is to send generate package to Avast via FTP server.

Avast FTP server: ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming/

jenray

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:48:05 PM »
thanks for the response but I've given up...getting a refund as we're still in the thirty day trial period. Five times I've tried to uninstall and reinstall and I've managed two Quick scans then it won't do it again, and no Full Scan at all. Can't waste any more time on it I'm afraid. Can't be driver conflict. Nothing to conflict with.

jenray

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 06:00:09 PM »
thanks for the response but I've given up...getting a refund as we're still in the thirty day trial period. Five times I've tried to uninstall and reinstall and I've managed two Quick scans then it won't do it again, and no Full Scan at all. Can't waste any more time on it I'm afraid. Can't be driver conflict. Nothing to conflict with.
I've just unticked speed scan and use persistent cache and the bottom one scan files in order and guess what....I've done a successful Quick Scan and the Full Scan is now working properly...just after I've asked for a refund!... :-\

jenray

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 03:27:53 PM »
spoke to soon...Full Scan failed not long after I wrote this last post... >:( Really had enough now so going for the refund...no response yet to request for one....