Author Topic: problem with hubby's Avast!  (Read 3340 times)

phoenixx

problem with hubby's Avast!
« on: March 17, 2005, 09:18:35 PM »
Hi,
we recently changed to Direcway, and ever since then, my husband has had a problem with Avast updating.......I too had a problem, but it seemed to fix itself.
When my husband clicks on "update" ( this is via the task bar), he receieves the following message:"Error HTTP server returned error 501"
After a minute, that window closes and another opens with :" Cannot connect to download 9.avast.com (69.56.122.146:80 ),,,,then it goes on to give some possible reasons ( all of which we have checked)
He uninstalled, and reinstalled it yesterday.....it did the first update, then is back to the same problem,. Just now, I went to "program preferences", and when I clicked on the manual ( indeed, ANY) "update now" ( for the virus database update), there was NO response at all.
Now, I'm  totally confused as to what is wrong, and have no idea how to correct it. (We both love Avast!, and recommend it always).
I hope someone can shed some light on this problem ( I am wondering if it is connected to that "9.avast.com" part??
Thanks in advance.

techie101

Re: problem with hubby's Avast!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 10:20:33 PM »
phoenix,

Any client (e.g. your Web browser or our CheckUpDown robot) goes through the following cycle when it communicates with your Web server:

* Obtain an IP address from the IP name of your site (your site URL without the leading 'http://'). This lookup (conversion of IP name to IP address) is provided by domain name servers (DNSs).
        * Open an IP socket connection to that IP address.
        * Write an HTTP data stream through that socket.
        * Receive an HTTP data stream back from your Web server in response. This data stream contains status codes whose values are determined by the HTTP protocol. Parse this data stream for status codes and other useful information.

This error occurs in the final step above when the client receives an HTTP status code that it recognises as '501'.

This error should be very rare in any Web browser. It is more likely if the client is not a Web browser - particularly if the Web server is old. In either case if the client has specified a valid request type, then the Web server is either responding incorrectly or simply needs to be upgraded.

In short, contact Directway technical support.