Author Topic: New user--following recommendations of Maximum PC--trouble with updating feature  (Read 2810 times)

Porschefan

Hi,

I just started trying out Avast Free due to the "face off" feature in Maximum PC.   I like it so far, but I'm experiencing and annoying problem with the "Program Updater" feature.   Avast keeps telling me that my 64-bit Java runtime program is out of date.   It isn't.  I've tried everything from reinstalling it myself from the web and having Avast "fix it."    Java reports that it is installed fine.   If I try to reinstall it, Java says it's already installed and running OK.   But when I rescan with Avast it still come up with a big X.   Annoying as heck.  I'm ready to just turn the updater off, and lower my opinion of Avast by a couple stars....   Any help appreciated and TIA.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Open the Software Updater click on the More details for that particular update and click on the Ignore program, job done.

I would also ask why you have JAVA installed, unless there is an application or site that absolutely requires it, then I would uninstall it completely.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Porschefan

Thanks, although I'm still curious as to why Avast makes this error.

RE Java, point taken.   I've heard and read about the dangers of having it on your machine.   After listening to Steve Gibson rant about how bad it was, I did actually remove it.   It went back on when a website I needed to use required it.   I'm not involved with that site any more, so I'm inclined to take your advice and just uninstall it....in fact, that's what I'll do ;-).    Thanks for the reminder.

STP

Porschefan

DavidR,

I just removed Java from the Control Panel.   Is that all I need to do?

Just want to make sure there isn't some specific procedure I need to make sure it's gone.

STP

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
1. I too am curious -  at times there appears to be an issue if the if the software updater database doesn't include the latest version, so there is a mismatch/out of sync condition that can cause confusion.

- another issue possibly a bit of a red herring is about 64bit, as the latest JAVA updates (for some time) have been combined for both 32&64bit versions. That could be another spanner in the works, but as an avast user like yourself I just don't know.

2. Control panel removal of JAVA - that should be sufficient.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Porschefan

David,

Java-free.   Thanks again.

STP

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.