Author Topic: on-access scanner  (Read 2555 times)

st195758

on-access scanner
« on: March 18, 2005, 04:55:24 AM »
i have the red ball in sys tray icon for avast and read the faq about turning on services related to the on-access scanner state. turned on a couple items related to remote procedure call functions but haven't apparently found the key to it. in my services listing there is no listing named avast. i installed avast after installing a couple spy/malware scanners, namely spybot search and destroy and ad-aware se personal. also used hijack this to disable my isp's bogus "search" tool and installed spyware blaster. this is a new rig with xp-pro sp2 oem full install on new unused drives three days ago. all the windows update is done and all the scanners including avast are updated. when i hit the resident shield setting it keeps going back to disabled and the on-access won't turn on.
anyone have an idea?? since avast was the forth program installed, after all the windows update and the other scanners am i uninstalling it and starting over? also, all the windows firewall settings related to internet use are turned on, could any of them interfere with avast?
this is the free home setup, i never installed norton or anything else on this, since avast was suggested by several friends, including my brother the it guy.

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: on-access scanner
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 12:39:13 PM »
Services for Win XP Pro (services.msc) I have stopped the webservice myself,normally running. All services are installed during setup as far as I know. If Avast is installed correctly all the services are installed and on when required
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: on-access scanner
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 02:21:36 PM »
I have the red ball in sys tray icon for avast

Since you do not have any other antivirus in your system, a simple repair of your installation should work...
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

You must be connected to the internet while repairing and avast.setup must be allowed to connect.
Do you use TeaTimer (a part of SpyBot) and/or Ad-watch (from Ad-aware) and/or PrevX... startup monitoring items could 'avoid' the correct installing of avast.
The best things in life are free.