Author Topic: Sygate and webshield...  (Read 41964 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Sygate and webshield...
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2005, 11:15:47 PM »
All you have to do is terminate the proccess in the AVAST program itself. No need to uninstall or modify start up.

Ok, the user will have to do this all times and each time. That way I suggested, it will be the default behavior (i.e., disabled).  :)
The best things in life are free.

Ant718

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2005, 04:09:59 AM »
All you have to do is terminate the proccess in the AVAST program itself. No need to uninstall or modify start up.

Ok, the user will have to do this all times and each time. That way I suggested, it will be the default behavior (i.e., disabled).  :)

??? Huh?
If you terminate the porcess its done. It will not restart after the next boot up.

Culpeper

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2005, 05:02:25 AM »

Ant718

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2005, 06:12:26 PM »
I use Sygate PFW Pro.
Not to beat a dead horse..... 
So the fix is to remove the port 80 from Avasts webshield and set up a manual proxy on my FireFox web Browser?
Or just disable Webshield alltogether?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2005, 07:27:32 PM »
So the fix is to remove the port 80 from Avasts webshield

Doing that is the same as disabling it...

Set up a manual proxy on my FireFox web Browser?

You can do that using the port 12080  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Ant718

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2005, 07:36:35 PM »
So the fix is to remove the port 80 from Avasts webshield

Doing that is the same as disabling it...

Set up a manual proxy on my FireFox web Browser?

You can do that using the port 12080  ;)

So essentially there really is NO FIX. There are two options leave WebShield running or just disable it altogether.

Unless Sygate ever decides to fix the issue. (Holding Breath)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2005, 10:00:17 PM »
So essentially there really is NO FIX. There are two options leave WebShield running or just disable it altogether.

Unless Sygate ever decides to fix the issue. (Holding Breath)

When the transparent redirect is disabled (no 80 port) and only the browser is set to use the localhost:12080 as a HTTP proxy you would just change your previous warnings from firewall:

"Browser is trying to access the internet" for

"WebShield is trying to access the internet".

I don't see this as a great security risk unless the spyware is specially crafted for this particular setup. You can call it a fix if you like.

mrckmn

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2005, 02:28:20 PM »
Hello All,
I also use sygate free ( version 5.6 build 2808 ), and of course a continuously updated avast home edition 4.6.623 . Lately..my computer has been acting differently, in the sense that it's been connecting to the internet by itself. And yes...I still use a dial-up connection, I can't say for sure..but it seems like this started shortly after I re-enabled the webshield function. I have the hijackthis software installed on my system, and it didn't show anything out of the ordinary. Has anyone else had this problem ? Right now...the only way I can prevent this from happening is go into internet options-connections, and choose never dial a connection. I didn't have to do that previously. Thanks for any suggestions.. ??? :)