Author Topic: ashwebsv.exe disabled and still using memory?  (Read 3815 times)

Rouskis

ashwebsv.exe disabled and still using memory?
« on: March 18, 2005, 11:34:12 AM »
Hello there! I have one older computer  which I prefer using only with the minimal  necessary resources eaten by  virusscanner and firewall. So Avast Webshield is disabled as the other "extra" modules.  Though ashwebsv.exe is still consuming  11656kb memory  and clearly running as firewall also registers it. So how to stop it working for good as i have understood it shouldn't be needed by the rest of the Avast?

OS Win ME

Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: ashwebsv.exe disabled and still using memory?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 02:17:28 PM »
Disable the provider.
Use msconfig to disable the startup entry for ashwebsv.exe.

As i have understood it shouldn't be needed by the rest of the Avast?

It's not truth. Vlk wrote in Wilders forum:
The thing is, a HUGE number of today's malware takes advantage of various exploits in web browsers (most notably, IE). The same applies to nuisance like dialers, spyware etc. In such a case, howevers, scanning of network streams (http streams in case of Web Scan-ners - i.e. avast's WebShield or Nod's IMON) is the only way to prevent the infection. The filesystem based scanner will simply act too late...
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 02:22:06 PM »
How did you disable it?

Pause or Stop Provider, Terminate from the on-access screen should do it.

The figure for memory usage seems high and may be down to the type of memory monitored and the program monitoring it. My own use whilst on-line (using the VM Size, which is a more accurate indication of actual memory in use), is much less, see image.

To permanently remove it (which I wouldn't recommend, lowers protection greatly, but that is your choice), using add remove programs, select avast anti-virus and click remove/change; from the next window select the change, you can now un-tick the elements you don't require.

I would suggest that there are better ways to save system resources rather than reduce your protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rouskis

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 02:45:11 PM »
Disable the provider.
Use msconfig to disable the startup entry for ashwebsv.exe.

Msconfig did the trick, how come it didn't occure to me... 

As for the safety I'm totally confident that the protection is high enough, never had a virus infection. '

Thanks.

Rouskis

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 02:57:06 PM »
How did you disable it?

Pause or Stop Provider, Terminate from the on-access screen should do it.

That's why I asked because it  didn't work so.

The figure for memory usage seems high and may be down to the type of memory monitored and the program monitoring it. My own use whilst on-line (using the VM Size, which is a more accurate indication of actual memory in use), is much less, see image.

I used Everest to check the memory usage of the processes, don't know how  reliable it is.

To permanently remove it (which I wouldn't recommend, lowers protection greatly, but that is your choice), using add remove programs, select avast anti-virus and click remove/change; from the next window select the change, you can now un-tick the elements you don't require.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep the feature for the possible future demands.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 02:58:49 PM by Rouskis »

nighthawk

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 04:17:03 AM »
when web shield is on or off it keeps my cpu going crazy at 50% and takes up like 100mb of memory, but i still want it running so i get protection, it does this even when im not on the web, whats up with this?

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 05:45:34 AM »

Welcome to the forums, Rouskis & nighthawk!    :)

I do not know what but something is not right on the computers of Rouskis & nighthawk. As you can see from David's photo and now mine, web shield should be using very little memory. I can't say about David's computer but as for mine, the 00 is % cpu usage. So, there has to be some program or malware that is effecting the high web shield usage & high percent cpu usage these 2 are experiencing with their computers.