Author Topic: Has Avast withdrawn support for XP?  (Read 10646 times)

onepk

Has Avast withdrawn support for XP?
« on: April 15, 2013, 04:00:04 PM »
I'm hoping someone can summarise the current situation of updates and XP.  There are various threads that have faded without conclusion or are still flickering on concerned with the problems of updating XP systems to v8.  So far I've not found anyone saying - "Yes I updated on XP and it was fine".  I have the "no definitions update message" symptom also, so can I assume any attempt to update will leave me with the full-blown disease of malfunctions?

As noted in other places the silence from Avast central is 'disappointing' but not unprecedented - which leads me to ask as in the Subject - are they just a year ahead of MS?

On the otherhand the usually very helpful member "Asyn" lists XP SP3 as his system and that he's using Avast 8..... so did you not have any problems Asyn in which case should I run the risk and attempt an update?

Any clarification would be really welcome.  Thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Has Avast withdrawn support for XP?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:04:13 PM »
On the otherhand the usually very helpful member "Asyn" lists XP SP3 as his system and that he's using Avast 8..... so did you not have any problems Asyn in which case should I run the risk and attempt an update?

No problems here on XP. :)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

onepk

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 04:56:47 PM »
Thanks Asyn - but could you say what route you took?  As usual via the pop-up?  Did you have any symptoms beforehand (eg no definitions verbal message) ?  Did you get the "false/nonexistent version 7" update message reported by many?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:02:33 PM »
Thanks Asyn - but could you say what route you took?  As usual via the pop-up?  Did you have any symptoms beforehand (eg no definitions verbal message) ?  Did you get the "false/nonexistent version 7" update message reported by many?

Well, as I'm one of the beta testers, I updated from the beta via GUI. ;)
I'd say go for it and if you should experience any problems, we'll help you.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

onepk

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
Trouble is the GUI still says update to 7.0.1483 and if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

Thanks for the offer of help Asyn, but unfortunately no one on the forum has returned to say their problems in this area have been solved with advice given so I'm still left wondering if it's actually possible to fix (apart from reverting to v7 when v8 fails) once you're in that situation - feels much like a "shall I cut the red wire or the blue wire" situation!

In any case is there much harm in sticking with v7 until XP itself is left to wither?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 06:21:58 PM »
1. Trouble is the GUI still says update to 7.0.1483 and if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

2. Thanks for the offer of help Asyn, but unfortunately no one on the forum has returned to say their problems in this area have been solved with advice given so I'm still left wondering if it's actually possible to fix (apart from reverting to v7 when v8 fails) once you're in that situation - feels much like a "shall I cut the red wire or the blue wire" situation!

3. In any case is there much harm in sticking with v7 until XP itself is left to wither?

1. Don't worry, you'll get 8.0.1483.
2. As said, if you should need help, you'll get it here.
3. Well, V8 has some quite good security improvements, but finally it's your decision.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »
No problems either on XP.

Personally I suggest you follow the advice in other topics and do a clean install of avast 8 as there are new routines in avast 8 which give better protection.

- Download the latest version of avast, 8.0.1483 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for all versions).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! - using add remove programs, if you can't do that (as appears to be the case) start from the next step, reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, it will request it be run from safe mode (and will handle the boot into safe mode), first for 7.x if previously installed and then for 8.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

onepk

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 07:28:54 PM »
Thanks both for the suggestions.  I'll have a go.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 07:38:18 PM »
I also update to Avast 8 on my XP with no problems at all. ;) 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 08:07:46 PM »

You're welcome, no doubt you will let us know how you get on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 08:14:57 AM »

You're welcome. Please report back.

onepk

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 12:24:50 PM »
Will report back - but not for some time I'm afraid as I can't risk any interruptions of service in the next few days and then I'm away for a while....  maybe all will be even clearer by then anyway!

dave99999

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »
I also updated to v8 on XP/SP3 via the GUI with no problems from the process, BUT I  wish I hadn't.  Now avast is very intrusive and constantly doing unwelcome things like slowing down internet browsing, spinning up sleeping hard drives, it's worse than a virus! 

Can I revert back to version 7 and if so, how long will that be supported with new definitions, or would it keep nagging me to upgrade to v8?

Oh, and as a new user of this forum, I find it ludicrous that I have to type a verification code just to post.  Do you really hate your members that much?  They already had to pass that test to register so it's a redundant burden/annoyance.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 07:44:20 PM by dave99999 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 07:48:48 PM »
Oh, and as a new user of this forum, I find it ludicrous that I have to type a verification code just to post.  Do you really hate your members that much?  They already had to pass that test to register so it's a redundant burden/annoyance.
The Captcha  ( verification code ) is only for the first three posts and is there to help prevent the spammers.

dave99999

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 08:05:58 PM »
^  OK, thanks Craig.