Author Topic: WebRep Security  (Read 4022 times)

slybo

WebRep Security
« on: April 15, 2013, 06:44:37 PM »
I have seen this talked about here before and have done a search but can not find a good answer. I get the pop up that IE 10 has stopped working and is closing, if I uninstall WebRep the problem stops. It happens a lot when a second tab on IE opens and then is closed. I can solve my problem as I say by uninstalling WebRep. My question is to uninstall WebRep you go to Browser Integration and uninstall the Security Plugin, since it is called Security Plugin am I at more risk by doing this? Or is it just for the voting thing? Somewhere I think I read it did help on site security, does it? Bottom line, how important is WebRep. I have had avast stop me from going to some infected sites, will this effect this? I use Avast Pro on Windows 7 and 8 with IE 10. Thanks slybo

Offline petr_matrix

• Avast team
  • avast! programmer
    • AVAST Software
Re: WebRep Security
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:33:32 PM »
Hi,
what avast! version are you using?

Thanks,
pm

slybo

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:09:46 AM »
Hi petr_matrix, I am using 8.0.1483 but I have had this happen at times with previous version for about the last year. I have uninstalled Security plugin for now and having no problem.

Offline abruptum

• Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:55:07 AM »
Try WOT plugin.I am using it in all browsers.Works fine with IE10 in Windows 7.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser-Tweak/WOT-for-Internet-Explorer.shtml

slybo

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:23:18 AM »
Hi abruptum, I have used WOT in the past and was thinking about using it again. I was going to give Avast some time to see if they get this fixed. A new version will be coming out soon of Avast. If it does not get fixed I will use WOT. Thanks sly

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 11:41:30 PM »
I know Petr has responded but does WebRep work in your other browsers?
Firefox? Chrome?
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

slybo

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 09:03:35 AM »
Hi Para-Noid, yes it does work in google chrome just fine. The only problem I am one of the few who likes to use IE more than the other browsers. I know this is not the first time this has been reported, just wanted Avast to know that someone was still having problems with this issue. Thanks for the reply. slybo

Offline petr_matrix

• Avast team
  • avast! programmer
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 03:27:57 PM »
IE webrep should be changed at next avast update... hope we'll fix all of these bugs
pm

slybo

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »
Thanks, I will install it with the new version. I guess you are talking about update as in program update. Want to give us a date for the release of the next program update? I am sure me and several other million people would like to know. Thanks slybo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 06:22:10 PM »
Thanks, I will install it with the new version. I guess you are talking about update as in program update. Want to give us a date for the release of the next program update? I am sure me and several other million people would like to know. Thanks slybo
Well, it's being baked and the beta program is running for some weeks. It shouldn't be far :)
The best things in life are free.