Author Topic: Can't uninstall !?  (Read 4815 times)

dagger

Can't uninstall !?
« on: September 18, 2003, 04:23:23 AM »
I'm having the can't update bug. Ive tried the few suggestions given in the other threads. I can't manually load the update files. I therefore decided to uninstall avast and start over. As per instructions from readme file, I go to control panel/add-remove programs, highlight avast anti-virus and up pops the remove/change button (running WinXP Pro sp1a), I click on it and the window just flashes and nothing happens. Just to check I can uninstall another app no problem.

Thanks for any help from anybody,
dagger

techie101

Re:Can't uninstall !?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 07:47:17 AM »
dagger,

By any chance, are you running another anti-virus on your system with Avast?

Try this....Restart your system and shut down all other programs except Systray and Explorer using Ctl/Alt-Del
then try the Add/Remove function.

Should this fail, go to www.alwil.com,  look for the downloads link and download a copy of Avclear4.  This is an uninstall program which sometimes works when the Windows function does not.

Let me know how it goes.

:D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2003, 07:48:13 AM by techie101 »

kubecj

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 12:51:52 AM »
You know, Techie, this is the exact moment when AvClear is useful  8)

dagger, can you please send me your setup.log (found in avast4\setup directory) to me before you just kill your installation? My email is kubecj AT asw DOT cz

thanks,

dagger

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 03:06:21 AM »
Techi - thanks for the link to AvClear. No, I do not have any other antivirus app installed (up until now with avast, why would I? ;) ). I tried closing all apps/processes and I still couldn't use the Control Panel to uninstall, nor force avast to update.

kubecj - sorry, even though avast was still running, I was uncomfortable with the problems and not running current virus definitions especially with all the recent worm attacks. I therefore have already run AvClear and reinstalled avast 4.1 and everything seems to running fine again (just before the power went out from Hurricane Isabel - I live in North Carolina, USA).  However, here is some more feedback. AvClear did NOT do a good job cleaning out the Registry. Many entries (over a dozen) were left in there. I used a good tool called jv16 Power Tools to clean up the Registry. A suggestion would be to improve AvClear's performance a bit more, though it did do enough to get the job done.

Thanks again for the help guys, and again to the ALWIL team for this user forum and support!

Cheers,
dagger