Author Topic: problems with cookies  (Read 9828 times)

silverandcold

problems with cookies
« on: March 19, 2005, 12:42:55 AM »
i just started using avast because a lot of people are recommending it. it seems okay but when i try to log in to my email or some forums, it says that cookies are disabled or something. this never really happened when i was still using norton but um.. yeah.. i had to diable websheild to get cookies running again.

is there a way to enable cookies with websheild enabled?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: problems with cookies
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 12:51:12 AM »
Are you using a firewall? Which one?
Telling us a bit more about your system config would be helpful, too. :)

Thx Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

silverandcold

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 12:53:01 AM »
im using latest version of zone alarm and avast. as i;ve said before, i only installed this a few hours ago and i really didnt have this problem prior the installation. when i disable websheild, it works fine..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 12:58:58 AM »
avast doesn't block cookies, there is nothing in the web shield settings were you can specify block cookies. Check your firewall (?) and browser (?) settings as both of these can and do have settings to block cookies.

Are you running any other resident software that can block cookies, such as Search and Destroy or AdAware, etc?

Zone Alarm has a Privacy setting I believe that restricts cookies, what is it set to?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 01:00:41 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

silverandcold

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 01:02:44 AM »
nope.. only zonealarm.. and i didn't change any setting in my browser either.. i think theres something wrong with my web sheild or something. haha.

silverandcold

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 01:04:55 AM »
oh, my zonealarm's cookie setting is set to med..

silverandcold

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 01:09:54 AM »
sorry for triple posting but i really couln;t find an edit button. haha.

[edit] stupid me! i didn't realize there was a modify button in there haha!

i seem to have found out the problem. i think zone alarm's cookie settings is having confilicts with avast's web sheild. when my ZA's cookie setting is set to mid, it wouldn't work while websheild is enabled but if it is set to off, it works fine.

i need to know now which is better. having zone alarm's cookie setting to mid/high with websheild off or zone alarm's cookie to off with websheild on.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 01:12:06 AM by silverandcold »

stevejrc

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 01:15:26 AM »
why not just use the privacy options in IExplorer for cookie management. and leave webshield on

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 01:19:21 AM »
1. There should be two buttons at the top right of each of your posts, 'Quote' and 'Modify' as you can now imagine the Modify is 'edit this thread' you can only do it for your own posts.

2. There has been a great deal of work on the web shield to overcome the privacy issue in ZA and the current version, 4.6.623, this has resolved the issue this for many ZA users with this problem previously in the forums. Can you confirm you are using 4.6.623 (right click the avast icon and select 'About avast!...'
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

silverandcold

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 01:25:39 AM »
Build: Mar2005 (4.6.623).. erm.. should i re-download?

jedvik

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 04:50:22 AM »
I'm still having the same problem you are with Avast Webshield & ZA Pro cookie control not liking each other. If I have cookie control set to medium, and Webshield on,  I can't log into my Yahoo or Gmail accounts. I am also using the latest version of Avast! (4.6.623). I have had to change cookie control in ZA to off in order for things to work.

silverandcold

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 07:47:42 AM »
yep.. same thing happens with me.. the irritating thing though is whenever i restart my pc, zone alarm resets the cookie setting to med... its a hassle to keep on changing it everytime i turn on my pc.

also, i find it funny when people claim that avast + zone alarm is one of the best *free* combination for pc protection.. isn't it ironic that those programs conflict with each other  >:(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 07:50:02 AM by silverandcold »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 05:59:37 PM »
The solution is to shut down ZA before you reboot your pc, but after you have changed your settings.  It will then remember your new settings you will also find that the shut down time is faster

Edit:  I find them a good combination, you don't need the privacy setting on ZA really I have turned them of since I downloaded the latest Avast and there has been no change in popups or sneaky cookies (using FF and IE6) Additionally someone on this forum had a link for checking e-mail virii etc and ZA quarantined 5 the rest were caught by Avast. 

Edit again found the link and here it is http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 06:23:39 PM by essexboy »