Author Topic: Settings in outlook/exchange task  (Read 4861 times)

hegedusa

Settings in outlook/exchange task
« on: March 06, 2005, 09:29:25 AM »
I'm confused about the various settings in the outlook/exchange task - some of these appear to duplicate each other. For example

no. 2 - inbound mail - I can set it to discard unconditionally

no. 8 - advanced - Silent mode - does this just refer to attachments?

Virus - this can be set to "delete file" - is this the same as the silent mode under "advanced"?

And some of these settings seem also to be duplicated when right-clicking on the avast icon in the system tray, going to on-access protection control and customising outlook/exchange.

Any help would be most useful!

thanks

Anthony Hegedus
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 09:35:22 AM by hegedusa »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Settings in outlook/exchange task
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 04:17:52 PM »
I'm confused about the various settings in the outlook/exchange task - some of these appear to duplicate each other. For example
no. 2 - inbound mail - I can set it to discard unconditionally
no. 8 - advanced - Silent mode - does this just refer to attachments?

Good question... it's my doubt too...

Virus - this can be set to "delete file" - is this the same as the silent mode under "advanced"?

Are you using the Professional version?

And some of these settings seem also to be duplicated when right-clicking on the avast icon in the system tray, going to on-access protection control and customising outlook/exchange.

They're not duplicated. The access to the settings could be done by multiply ways...
The best things in life are free.

hegedusa

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 07:13:11 PM »
Yes I'm using the professional version

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 09:22:31 PM »

Are you using the Professional version?

The answer Yes in Silent Mode keeps the virus in the file or into the message (attach) and continue the scanning. You can't configure 'delete the infected file' in the Home version.
The best things in life are free.

hegedusa

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 10:26:56 AM »
Well, I seemed to have solved the problem by a remove/reinstall of Avast.

Now, when an email comes in with a virus, I can set Avast Pro to actually remove the attachment, then move the email to a different folder, all silently.

The only problem I have is that it doesn't work too well on IMAP folders in outlook 2003. It seems to delete the email, then fail to move it. When I tried it, it generated 4 deleted emails which I had to purge later.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 12:55:12 PM »
Hmm, quite strange... I mean, the Outlook plugin doesn't interfere with the actual traffic in any way (unlike the Internet Mail provider). That's because the plugin is simply scanning whatever Outlook passes to it (presumably after it's downloaded from the server...)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

hegedusa

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 08:14:43 PM »
Well it wouldn't surprise me too much if it was outlook. It is a truly appalling program. For example, every few days, my favourite folders disappear. Every few weeks, one of my IMAP accounts reports that the folders are no longer accessible  - I can't remove the folder, all I can do is remove the account and recreate it and forget about the old folder! And then every so often emails appear to be duplicated, and then outlook goes off and re-scans the imap mailbox and returns with either the same duplicate items, or on rare occasions, it displays the emails properly. Sometimes, attachments get duplicated 8 or so times!

So I think in this case it's probably outlook that isn't working properly