Author Topic: What's the deal with Sygate  (Read 4653 times)

Culpeper

What's the deal with Sygate
« on: March 19, 2005, 03:08:32 AM »
Is the Avast Webshield working with IE if Sygate Home version is installed.

sded

Re: What's the deal with Sygate
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 03:46:04 AM »
Works fine for me.  Do you have a problem?

Culpeper

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 03:48:29 AM »
No, just saw some lengthy threads on the subject and didn't want to read through them all.

sded

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 03:59:43 AM »
Ah, the local proxy problem in Sygate.  Sygate does not ask permission for a browser to use Webshield to access the internet as many other firewalls do.  Initially, Webshield seemed to accentuate the problem, because all http traffic passed through it without challenge by Sygate.  Upgrades to 5.6.623 limit traffic to specific browsers.  Sygate still does not recognize local proxies like Webshield, but the problem is limited.   There are workarounds in some of the threads to further limit it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 04:15:28 AM by sded »

Culpeper

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 04:18:43 AM »
I'm not having problems like that.   Sygate appears to have given Webshield permission though.  I just want to make sure I'm getting the benefit of Webshield while still using Sygate.

sded

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 04:27:57 AM »
Yes; no problem with the virus scanning of web pages when using Sygate.  Just the traffic log will show it as ashwebsv instead of the browser and it will have permission to access the internet because of ashwebsv having permission.  Sygate recognizes local proxies as a flaw on their website FAQ, but have not rushed to fix it, even though you can postulate Trojan exploits of it.

Culpeper

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 04:40:32 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  Before checking my Sygate traffic log I just assumed that the Webshield would be acting as a browser as far as the firewall software is concerned.  I don't see a problem with this. 

techie101

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 04:58:06 AM »
Strange though....I have a machine using Zone Alarm and it doesn't even "see" the Web Shield.

sded

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 05:12:48 AM »
With Sygate (and Kerio), there is a message asking for permission when ashwebsv accesses the internet.  Usually yes/remember is the answer, and you never see it again.  Surprised ZA would be different, since it works that way otherwise.  But Sygate has a complete traffic log showing the connections for all messages, and ashwebsv shows up instead of IE.  Problem is because ashwebsv has permission, flaw in Sygate gives permission to all other programs using it as a proxy, instead of asking permission for each program to use the proxy.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 08:09:46 PM »
Strange though....I have a machine using Zone Alarm and it doesn't even "see" the Web Shield.

Techie, are you sure that WebShield is working in your computer?
The best things in life are free.