Author Topic: Avast has been disabled, fairly sure my system has a virus, please help.  (Read 4505 times)

Thorolf

So the full story in a short compact format.

A few days ago my computer's screen went scrambled, had to restart.

A day after that I restarted computer and avast came up saying it had blocked a threat just as I started up my computer (wish I paid more attention to what it said specifically but alas I cannot remember, it just said it had dealt with it)

This morning I tried to boot up my pc and windows failed to start.  After running the repair tool on windows startup several times the computer booted successfully, however Avast is disabled, all shields are down, in the maintenance section it says current version "unknown", virus definitions: "unknown" system unsecured.

What do I do now?  Evidence points to a virus for me :(

Currently running malwarebytes to see what that returns, have tried spybot but that only found some tracking cookies.

Thank you for any help!!!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
follow this guide and attach the requested logs..... not copy and paste.   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

AdwCleaner
Malwarebytes
OTL
aswMBR

when done the removal experts will be notified and help you when they arrive here later today

Thorolf

Hello,

Here are the logs, Malwarebytes came up with nothing so I didn't attach it's log.

Thank you!

Leo

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
and AdwCleaner log....

Thorolf

Ah yes, that too!

Thorolf

- Update -

Managed to get avast working, downloaded it from the site and reinstalled the latest version, would the screen scramble (which it did again earlier today as I opened the disc tray) lock-ups and failure to boot just be a hardware issue then?  Ran Chkdsk and it didn't return any major errors.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
No malware present on the logs, it may be a power supply issue with the screen scrambling when you open the DVD drawer 

Thorolf

Ok, thank you guys for your help.  Love what you do here for people.

Leo