Author Topic: Is there a way to test Webshield  (Read 38282 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Is there a way to test Webshield
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2005, 03:47:03 AM »
Does it block the file and no further action is needed in case the real thing ever happens?

Yes, that's the way of WebShield works. Faster than the Standard Shield, safer, more comfortable.
The file won't be downloaded (or the webpage won't be displayed). Nothing will be safe in your computer, nothing will be at the cache  8)
avast rocks!  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2005, 03:50:50 AM »
Thanks! :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2005, 03:23:51 PM »
Does it block the file and no further action is needed in case the real thing ever happens?

When you attempt to download the eicar.com test file it should be picked up by the web shield and it offers the option to abort the connection (just that item being downloaded, not the dial-up or broadband connection). Doing that stops it in its tracks, it doesn't get on your HDD, so there is a way to test web shield by clicking on the link that Technical gave you.

Why not check it and see what it does first hand?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Culpeper

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2005, 03:21:13 AM »

When you attempt to download the eicar.com test file it should be picked up by the web shield and it offers the option to abort the connection (just that item being downloaded, not the dial-up or broadband connection). Doing that stops it in its tracks, it doesn't get on your HDD, so there is a way to test web shield by clicking on the link that Technical gave you.

Why not check it and see what it does first hand?

Uh dah, I did and guess what?  The Avast! notification doesn't give the action performed. ::)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2005, 02:32:47 PM »
The Avast! notification doesn't give the action performed. Roll Eyes

What action/s are you expecting? All you will be offered is abort connection (did you get that)? Since the file it isn't on your HDD yet it can't be moved to chest, deleted, etc. so those actions can't be offered.

If I click the link this is what I get, are you saying you don't see this?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2005, 04:09:44 PM »
The correct reaction should look like this

Culpeper

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2005, 08:38:39 PM »
The Avast! notification doesn't give the action performed. Roll Eyes

What action/s are you expecting? All you will be offered is abort connection (did you get that)? Since the file it isn't on your HDD yet it can't be moved to chest, deleted, etc. so those actions can't be offered.

If I click the link this is what I get, are you saying you don't see this?

No, all it gave me was the abort connection option.  I wasn't sure if the infected file was cached or not.  Thus, my original question.

Offline barryfs

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2005, 09:20:21 PM »
Now I'm worried.

I am running Avast 4.6.623 on Win 98 SE.
According to the 'on access scanner', Web Shield is currently running, with sensitivity set to normal.

I have just managed to download the eicar test files, and save them to a folder on my C:\ drive, without any warnings / messages.

What am I doing wrong?
 ???

Regards
Barry

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2005, 12:17:08 AM »
Extract from avast! help file Resident protection - Web Shield.
The provider works as a local proxy server. On NT-based operating systems (Windows NT/2000/XP/20003) the protection is completely transparent and it is usually not necessary to configure anything special. To enable the Web Shield on Windows 9x/ME operating systems, it is necessary to modify one setting in the Internet Options - in particular, the address and port of local proxy. So, if you want to use Web Shield on an older operating system, do the following:

You need to manually set-up the proxy settings within win98, if you haven't done that you need to.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2005, 12:19:41 AM »
No, all it gave me was the abort connection option. I wasn't sure if the infected file was cached or not. Thus, my original question.

That is the correct action 'abort connection' it stops the download so it doesn't get placed on your HDD.

Culpeper

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2005, 02:00:37 AM »
Now I'm worried.

I am running Avast 4.6.623 on Win 98 SE.
According to the 'on access scanner', Web Shield is currently running, with sensitivity set to normal.

I have just managed to download the eicar test files, and save them to a folder on my C:\ drive, without any warnings / messages.

What am I doing wrong?
 ???

Regards
Barry

Make sure you browser is set for proxy server connection 127.0.0.1 port 12080

Oops, sorry David already answered the question

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2005, 12:11:26 PM »
Will Webshield block Java Trojan horses which attempt to install spyware on Java enabled browsers, specifically the Trojan which attempted to install spyware on Firefox and other alternative browsers?

Apparently, several visitors to the site which caused all the fuss recently said their anti-virus programs had blocked the Trojan.

http://www.vitalsecurity.org/2005/03/firefox-spyware-infects-ie.html

I went to the offending site yesterday but the spyware seems to have been removed, so I couldn't put avast! and Webshield to the test.

(It's important to point out that this spyware requires you to click 'yes' to a very obviously dodgy pop-up dialogue box. But it would be nice to know that Webshield was providing an extra layer of security!)

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2005, 04:11:59 PM »
It's important to point out that this spyware requires you to click 'yes' to a very obviously dodgy pop-up dialogue box. But it would be nice to know that Webshield was providing an extra layer of security!

You're right... thanks for posting. A lot of users are just saying: Oh, disable WebShield, it's do nothing!  ;D
The best things in life are free.

guestja

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2005, 12:37:58 AM »
moved to new thread
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005, 01:27:16 AM by guestja »

Offline barryfs

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2005, 12:43:36 AM »
 ;D

Thanks for your help everybody.
Web Shield now detects the EICAR test virus before it even gets to my PC.
Great feature.

Regards
Barry