Author Topic: 2nd user account  (Read 6436 times)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
2nd user account
« on: April 17, 2013, 12:19:05 PM »
Is this issue ever going to be fixed?  ::)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: 2nd user account
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »
hmmm.... i seem to remember one that said i will never test any new software again.   ;)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 12:35:52 PM »
I'm not using the Beta.

No one smart enough to fix this?  ???

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:00:00 PM by -midnight »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »
hmmm.... i seem to remember one that said i will never test any new software again.   ;)

That never going to happen Pondus and you know how this is PBKAC ;)
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 01:12:55 PM »

That never going to happen Pondus and you know how this is PBKAC ;)

I am not using any Avast Beta...........Version 8 1483 is what I'm using!

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 01:17:42 PM »
You didn't have this problem until you installed the beta, correct?

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 01:19:18 PM »
Correct.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 01:20:57 PM »
Have you tried removing the account?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »
I'm not using the Beta.

My take on this - the beta created the account, but uninstalling the beta and installing the regular version doesn't remove the user account.

You really should have kept to your comment not to use the beta versions. Unless you accept that things like this or worse could happen during beta testing and you have to be able to resolve whatever issue that comes up. This is usually achieved by having created a hard drive image (before you install the beta)  that can make an exact copy of the drive that can be restored.

If you can't accept that then don't uses beta software not just avast betas.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 01:24:23 PM »
No I haven't because I can only see it on the log in screen.  I've uninstalled Avast in safe mode and when I rebooted it still showed the 2nd user account.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »
I'm not using the Beta.

My take on this - the beta created the account, but uninstalling the beta and installing the regular version doesn't remove the user account.

You really should have kept to your comment not to use the beta versions. Unless you accept that things like this or worse could happen during beta testing and you have to be able to resolve whatever issue that comes up. This is usually achieved by having created a hard drive image (before you install the beta)  that can make an exact copy of the drive that can be restored.

If you can't accept that then don't uses beta software not just avast betas.

The 2nd user account didn't show up on the day that I started using the Beta.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »
My suggestion to you is to shift your focus off of testing beta versions of anything and concentrate on learning different system imaging programs, file backups, and syncing.

Creating system image and repair disk using Windows 7.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/

Other free system image options.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm

I use a combination of different backups:

1. System image using Paragon Backup and Recovery Free.
I create a new image whenever there is a large change/update to my system or if I'm preparing to beta test. I always keep 2 images created at different times.

2. System image using Windows 7 Backup and Restore.
This is my virgin image of windows which is updated through service pack 1. I have this available if I want to start over but don't want to install Windows 7 from scratch. I don't anticipate using this but I like to have it just in case. For instance, if my Paragon image fails.

3. Daily file backup using Seagate Manager.

4. Real-time syncing of my most important files.

5. I have had Windows System Restore turned off for years because I don't trust it.

6. Always burn Recovery Media for each program. This is required if your system becomes unbootable and is also required to restore an image using certain software.

7. Always perform a trial run to get acquainted with the program and make certain it produces expected results.

There are other options but you need to find what works best for you.

Charyb
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:12:16 PM by Charyb »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 06:08:38 PM »
My suggestion to you is to shift your focus off of testing beta versions of anything and concentrate on learning different system imaging programs, file backups, and syncing.

n-windCreating system image and repair disk using Windows 7.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-iows-7/

Other free system image options.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm

I use a combination of different backups:

1. System image using Paragon Backup and Recovery Free.
I create a new image whenever there is a large change/update to my system or if I'm preparing to beta test. I always keep 2 images created at different times.

2. System image using Windows 7 Backup and Restore.
This is my virgin image of windows which is updated through service pack 1. I have this available if I want to start over but don't want to install Windows 7 from scratch. I don't anticipate using this but I like to have it just in case. For instance, if my Paragon image fails.

3. Daily file backup using Seagate Manager.

4. Real-time syncing of my most important files.

5. I have had Windows System Restore turned off for years because I don't trust it.

6. Always burn Recovery Media for each program. This is required if your system becomes unbootable and is also required to restore an image using certain software.

7. Always perform a trial run to get acquainted with the program and make certain it produces expected results.

There are other options but you need to find what works best for you.

Charyb

I'll have someone else do the backups for me.

I finally found the 2nd user account in my documents.   Removed it, rebooted and it no longer shows up.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »

I finally found the 2nd user account in my documents.   Removed it, rebooted and it no longer shows up.

Good. With this you should be able to recover quickly from any problems caused by beta testing.

Regarding someone else doing backups for you, what type of backup plan(s) will they be using? Will they be using any of the programs that I suggested? I'm always interested in other options.

Charyb
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:56:08 PM by Charyb »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 09:49:42 PM »

Good. With this you should be able to recover quickly from any problems caused by beta testing.

Regarding someone else doing backups for you, what type of backup plan(s) will they be using? Will they be using any of the programs that I suggested? I'm always interested in other options.

Charyb

I'm not sure yet.  One of my neighbors is a Computer Tech and he will be doing the backups.