Author Topic: Avast 8 - AdBlock not functioning in IE, won't enable in Chrome.  (Read 4243 times)

Offline pyrestriker

Installation seems okay, but Chrome does not activate it. Attempting to activate the Chrome Extension only temporarily activates it for a brief second, and then it deactivates again. Even running Chrome in Administrator Mode did nothing.
As for IE, the plugin is active, but does not appear to be doing anything while visiting sites with known ads.

Any fixes? I already do use another adblocking program for Chrome (AdBlock Plus). I wanted to test Avast's against it though, especially since there are other people in this house that seem to love IE so much.

Program versions:

Chrome: 26.0.1410.64 m

Internet Explorer: 9.0.8112.16421

Windows Vista 64-bit Service Pack 2
Avast 64-bit 8.0.1483

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
Re: Avast 8 - AdBlock not functioning in IE, won't enable in Chrome.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »
Please note that it is not possible to run both Avast! ad blocker and Adblock Plus together (Chrome).

I am quite sure ABP have to be completely removed (not just deactivated) to use Avast! ad blocker.

However, Avast! ad blocker is based on ABP, and ABP has more features and better ad blocking capabilities compared to it (you can import more filters, completely removes/hides ads rather than having an empty box where the ads were)

Offline pyrestriker

Re: Avast 8 - AdBlock not functioning in IE, won't enable in Chrome.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »
I see. Well, that explains the issue in Chrome.

However, it still doesn't solve the issue in IE - the Add-On shows up, but does not seem to do anything to block any ads when visiting known sites with ads.