Author Topic: How do you get Avast! FREE from AVAST! without cnet, major geeks,  (Read 6032 times)

NTxLS

I downloaded Avast! FREE and now it is telling me I have AVAST PRO and need to purchase a license.  I am retired and on a fixed income cannot afford these yearly licenses.  Where may we acquire Avast! FREE from Avast's website? 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How do you get Avast! FREE from AVAST! without cnet, major geeks,
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:31:34 PM »
Does your installation look like this one, see image (click to expand) ?

Yes you can download from avast, but that may not be the issue here as it is the free version on cnet as well - Free AV: - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe

Edit image to reduce file size.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:47:24 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

NTxLS

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 02:29:42 AM »
DavidR,
Yes, it did when I first installed it some time ago and just recently it had changed to the Midnight back ground version and in red said I needed to pay for a license.  I thought what is this(?) is there a license required for the FREE now?  Then realized some where along the line some how I had been updated to the 'Trial' version.  It had expired, the trial time period.  Went to my browser and found where I had gotten the link on Avast! to get the download from them instead of the cnet, filehippo, majorgeeks, et cetera . . have found they place their own installer on the popular downloads and if you are not watching they install other thingys, PUPs.  This post was made before I awoke to what I was really looking for, did a search in my bookmarks and found what I needed.  Did the install and when done it told me there was another antivirus program on my system that I needed to remove, yet it did my install for me.  The 'Black Background' version was still there.  Turned off my wireless card and removed Avast! PRO then re-did the install of my FREE version.  Then restarted my wireless card.  All are back to normal, sorry about this post just not fully aware of what I am doing most of the time.

Thank you for that link, again, the copy I have still works and the job was done to completion.

My issue has been settled, my brain is my problem . . no one can help me with that, not even me.  BAG!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:50:27 AM by NTxLS »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:16:16 PM »
You're welcome, glad that you have it resolved now.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security