Author Topic: Opinion, Recommendation  (Read 3992 times)

Norm321

Opinion, Recommendation
« on: April 21, 2005, 02:10:56 PM »
I am running avast! on my main PC and doing some testing with AVG on my laptop(Yikes) to figure out a email scanning question when using YPops. I removed Norton thouroughly before installing AVG. First when it installed the SMTP was disabled like this, SMTP*: and sometimes when the system boots it gets to the XP logo and then a black screen appears. This is random(It could be another problem). I know alanrf used to do some testing with that product so if possible I would like some input. The folks at the AVG forum seem to blame everything on Norton. I have removed Norton before in fact the system I'm using to write this had Norton on it and now avast with no problems. I plan to switch the laptop over to avast! soon as I'm done testing AVG because it seems a bit buggy and fussy. Thanks for any input!!  ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Opinion, Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 02:37:42 PM »
Norton is nororiously difficult to remove and remnants may cause problems, when you say you  thoroughly removed Norton, did you take the steps in these links (which ever is relevant).

The NAV2003 removal tool can be downloaded here: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/Rnav2003.exe
- Manual Removal NAV 2004
- Manual Removal NAV 2003 or earlier

Although this has nothing to do with avast and should be on either the General or off-topic forum.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 04:52:08 PM »
The AVG mail scanner in the presence of any other antivirus (Norton, avast, etc.) is very unstable.
I won't be surprised that everyone blame everything on Norton  ;D
Try removing Norton, then AVG, then clean registry and files left behind by both, then install avast and be happy!
The best things in life are free.

kamulko

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 08:30:58 PM »
Yes Technical: it's strange but maaaaaaany persons continue to keep 2 antivirus programs running in the machine at the same time.  :'(

Norm321

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 01:17:04 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone, Next time I'll post in the proper spot, sorry!! I'll do another cleanup and VERY HAPPILY install avast! I am really impressed with avast! so far. I'm sure glad I found out about it and installed it!!  ;D