Author Topic: How to Completely Uninstall Webrep?  (Read 7541 times)

Alyus

How to Completely Uninstall Webrep?
« on: April 19, 2013, 09:03:55 PM »
In settings>Webrep & Antiphishing, I was able to check off (disable) Webrep, but wasn't able to find a way to uninstall it. Also in Firefox, there is no remove option but only to disable it as well. Does anyone know how to uninstall Webrep plugin?

slybo

Re: How to Completely Uninstall Webrep?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 09:12:14 PM »
I can tell you how I did it. I went to the setting right above the one you used, Browser Integration then uninstalled the Security Plugin for each browser you want.

Alyus

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »
Thank you. It's simply called Security plugin installed. How will I know that I am just removing Webrep and not anything else since I have no use for Webrep? I could just take a chance since it looks like it can be simply be reinstalled.

slybo

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 09:23:51 PM »
I asked this question and my thread is a little ways down the page, maybe you will get an answer on that, read my thread

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=121392.0

good luck, slybo

Alyus

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 09:33:21 PM »
The thing I'm not sure I want sandbox removed as well. Wished they just had an uninstall tab just for Webrep instead of combining unclear options called "Security Plugin," which I assume are both Sandbox and Webrep as it is described.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:38:36 PM by Alyus »

slybo

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 09:37:36 PM »
I agree there needs to be a clear explanation of this, maybe since someone else, you, is asking they will see the need. slybo

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 09:38:46 PM »
The sandbox and WebRep are unrelated. In the "free" version the autosandbox settings can be found in the file shield settings.
In Pro, AIS and Premier the sandbox is an on-demand feature.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Alyus

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 09:41:29 PM »
I overlooked that there is a check box for "Run this browser in sandbox." I just installed Avast yesterday and am just unfamiliar with the set up since there seems to be numerous tabs and options, unlike AVG, I think, since I only kept AVG 2013 for a week since it seems the majority of people prefer Avast over AVG. Also, Avast is much cheaper as well if you want the paid version.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 09:43:50 PM by Alyus »

slybo

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »
Hi Para-Noid, what about the question I had in my thread that was never fully answered

My question is to uninstall WebRep you go to Browser Integration and uninstall the Security Plugin, since it is called Security Plugin am I at more risk by doing this? Or is it just for the voting thing? Somewhere I think I read it did help on site security, does it? Bottom line, how important is WebRep. I have had avast stop me from going to some infected sites, will this effect this?

You have any information on this, slybo

Alyus

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 09:59:38 PM »
I think Webrep (green bars) is only the result from people voting. Disabling it does not affect or decrease Avast ability to protect your computer. That's just an educated guess though. The confusion I have is that in order to uninstall Webrep, you had to uninstall something called "Security plugin." Why not just call it Webrep if that's just what it simply is?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:11:11 PM by Alyus »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 10:03:31 PM »
Disabling it does not affect or decrease Avast ability to protect your computer.
You are quite correct.  8)
I would leave the phishing filter "on".  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

slybo

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 10:04:41 PM »
Yes Alyus that is what I assume but I have seen other threads that led me to believe it had other functions, I would just like someone who really knows to tell me. slybo

slybo

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 10:11:09 PM »
Para-Noid, that is my problem. If you uninstall Security Plugin it looks like it would remove everything from WebRep and Antiphishing Plugin settings. This is what I am asking, what are you removing when you remove Security Plugin from Browser Integration. slybo

Alyus

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 10:14:52 PM »
In "Webrep & Anti-phishing" tab, the box is still checked. Seems to me that Anti-phishing is still enabled, but who knows? :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 10:15:45 PM »
All you are doing is uninstalling WebRep. The phishing filter has its own setting. They are not inter-connected.
See the screenshots  :)