Author Topic: Silent mode for Outlook  (Read 7488 times)

rsuplido

Silent mode for Outlook
« on: September 22, 2003, 10:30:39 PM »
With lots of email viruses floating around now and getting several per day, I'd like to know if there is a silent mode for Outlook so as to not pop-up a window everytime Avast finds a virus attached in an email. This option is found in the other modes but not for Outlook. Am I overlooking something?

Thanks.

mantra

Re:Silent mode for Outlook
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 10:00:31 AM »
yes but is in pro version
u can choose the action!
for example repair and delete

jlerner

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 02:45:38 AM »
How about a silent mode for Outlook Express?  It doesn't appear as if the Professional version has a silent option.  Or if it does, please tell me where to find it!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 09:20:54 AM »
Start the Enhanced User Interface and select the resident task you are using (probably the default one). Now, edit it (you'll get two messageboxes saying that you're editing the running default resident taks). Be sure to have "Advanced configuration" in the bottom left corner checked.
Now, you can specify the desired action on the Virus page of the Internet Mail provider.

jlerner

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 03:33:18 AM »
I started the Enhanced Interface program, checked the Advanced Configuration checkbox for Resident Task (which I hope is the right one), and deleted the action and then set If Failed to Delete.  Still, I get a popup window ("Suspicious Message") on every incoming virus message for Outlook Express.  I want them to just be deleted without bothering me.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 09:35:09 AM »
So, in the Internet Mail provider, on the page Virus - what actions do you have in the list? Only "delete file"?

Anyway, I thought you were talking about the virus warning, not this "Suspicious message", which is due to the heuristics. You may try to lower the heuristic sensitivity settings, but I'm afraid that's not exactly what you want...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 09:43:54 AM »
Actually I think it is what he wants. Mail heuristics is by definition interactive (i.e. it needs response from the user) so to get rid of the Suspicious Message warnings, you need to disable the heuristics...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jlerner

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2003, 02:38:24 PM »
The heuristic is working fine - it properly detects a virus in email.  The problem is that I want the action taken to be a delete, not to be bothered with confirming it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2003, 03:27:45 AM »
The heuristic is working fine - it properly detects a virus in email.  The problem is that I want the action taken to be a delete, not to be bothered with confirming it.

Maybe, this is a good suggestion for new versions: a non-interactive action for Heuristics...  ;)
The best things in life are free.