Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Avast Firewall not working ?  (Read 29296 times)

Offline DraKuL

Re: Avast Firewall not working ?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 07:29:32 PM »
Yes it shows that the service has started..
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Johnny4745

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 08:35:24 PM »
Have you tried going to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and clicking on Avast and then Change?

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 08:52:52 PM »
The firewall component is installed.. its just that the graph isnt showing any activity..
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Johnny4745

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »
Check your Network Adapter in Device Manager.

I have used Yahoo search, and I have searched Avast messages.  There are a lot of people with the same problem.

I wish someone more knowledgeable than I am would get involved in this discussion, and help solve your problem.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 07:37:47 PM »
Thanks Johnny, that what I did to resolve the issue with the firewall not being installed. There was Avast NDIS miniport filter or something and I couldnt install the firewall until I uninstalled it.. Not sure if these 2 are connected and I too hope one of the Devs reply as they would know inside and out..

Johnny4745

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »
Are these mini port filters only used in the 64 bit version of Windows?  None show up with my network adapter.

I read one article where a person had 58 of them.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »
I'm not sure.. the thing is it was there earlier when Avast 8 was out, when I tried to do a clean installation I couldnt do it because of the filter. then I uninstalled it and installed and it worked fine. The filter wasnt there after that either. but later on it somehow appeared under network adapters, dont know how.. Now I uninstalled  the filter and did a clean installation again and its still not there.. So Avast installation doesnt add them.. dont know how/why it appears and the purpose..

Johnny4745

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »
I did find out a little about NDIS filter drivers, even how to uninstall them in Kaspersky.  The person doesn't explain it very well, but it will work with Avast.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff565492%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

http://www.ehow.com/how_6523127_remove-kaspersky-ndis-miniport.html

I read one article that said if you have a bad NDIS driver, it should uninstalled in Safe Mode, and then updated in Safe Mode.

I also found out I have an NDIS filter driver, even though it doesn't show up in Device Manager.

Attachment:

Aventador

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 01:58:59 AM »
Download this then see if there is activity. http://www.testmypcsecurity.com/securitytests/firewall_test_suite.html

Also have you tried Shields Up?

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Are you sure your router does not have a built in hardware firewall? What model and brand is it?

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 07:40:46 AM »
Johnny, Thanks I ll have a look.. I dont know how to install it again, I uninstalled it in normal bootup, not in safe mode.

Aventador, Yes I'm sure it doesnt have one, I have used multiple connections, like a USB dongle, personal hotspot on my iPhone, still no activity. Yes I tried shields up, according to that my ports are invisible.. but what I dont get is why there is no activity on the graph when it shows activity for other shields.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 07:54:09 AM »
Aventador, the score was 190/340  15/34 were vulnerable.. If you have AIS installed, could you run the tests and let me know if u get the same result?

Still no activity by the way.. First ran it while windows firewall was active, then with it disabled, got the same results though..

EDIT: Weird part is, I get the same results when the firewall and all the shield are disabled, plus windows firewall..
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:06:03 AM by DraKuL »

Aventador

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »
Ok so if AIS's firewall is off and Windows firewall is off then and you can still pass Shields Up then your most likely behind a hardware firewall. The leak test I sent you is mainly a HIPS test. Hence the score. But to get a better score put the firewall in ask mode. I do not have AIS. Dont need it. Have you tried blocking something? Such as Chrome or Firefox then accessing the program and seeing what happens?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:44:11 PM by Aventador »

Johnny4745

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »
Which ISP are you using?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
Well, firewall tests have their limitations: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=29259.msg247460#msg247460
If anything is going wrong with the drivers, I suggest uninstalling all previous firewalls, check network incompatible tools, made an avast installation from scratch.

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. (Optional) If you want, save your avast! settings for later restoration (Settings > Maintenance > Back up).
4. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
5. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
6. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
7. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
8. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 05:54:54 PM »
@Aventador, Yes I know but its the same when I use my iPhone personal hotspot or my USB dongle connection. But I didnt run the test with those, will try later on as I cant switch connections at the moment.

@Tech, I already did that 2-3 times, didnt fix the issue  :-\