Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Avast Firewall not working ?  (Read 29306 times)

Johnny4745

Re: Avast Firewall not working ?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 11:32:39 PM »
Open the Firewall, click on settings in the Firewall, and then click on Network Profiles.  I would like to know if the Firewall is detecting your Internet connection.

Attachment:

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 05:49:49 AM »
Yes it detects the ISP and it also detects a network change.

As for the firewall test, I tried it on my iPhone hotspot and ran the test, got the same results with the shields disabled.. so either the test is fake or there is something wrong..
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Aventador

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 12:20:36 PM »
Which firewall test? Shields Up? Did you actually read the site? Shields Up is a completely legit site and has been around for many of years. If you actually read the site it  will detect and check your hardware firewall first. I can turn off Windows firewall and I get a perfect score from Shields Up. Why? Because I am behind a router with a hardware firewall. I disable the firewall in my router and I fail. You really need to start looking elsewhere. 3 pages and you still have no answer. Did you try blocking a program with AIS then try using that program? Block Chrome or Firefox and see what happens with the logs. As far as inbound logs the reason you do not see anything is due to the fact that your hardware firewalll or modem is filtering inbound traffic.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 12:33:39 PM »
I was talking about CLT (comodo test)..

I can understand about the hardware firewall but when I use my iPhone's personal hotspot to connect, I get the same result. I will try shields up with my iPhone connection with all the shields + windows FW off.

I already blocked a program - firefox and yes it blocked the traffic, as in no internet access when its blocked. but nothing shows up on the statistics graph (see screenshot on the first post).

I contacted Avast help and they asked me to send them the logs, I sent them but no reply after that.
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

Johnny4745

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
What is the name of the router you are using?

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2013, 04:27:59 PM »
NetComm router.. But as I said I use my iphone's personal hotspot to connect to the net.. the iPhone doesnt have a hardware firewall so..

Johnny4745

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »
Type this in the URL location bar and hit enter.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »
If i'm on my wifi, it takes me to my router set up page. But when I'm using personal hotspot, nothing happens..

Johnny4745

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 07:14:31 PM »
From what I have read that NetComm router should have a firewall.  Can you find it in Set Up?

If you can find the router firewall, turn it off and see if Avast starts logging inbound and outbound traffic.

When I first started using Avast 8 the firewall logs were empty.  I didn't look at statistics, so I don't know what that showed.  I tried to turn the router firewall off, but It wouldn't let me.  I had to call AT&T and have them disable it remotely.  Then Avast started showing the firewall traffic.

When I turned the router firewall back on, both Avast and the router show the firewall traffic.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 07:16:45 PM »
yeah but in my case, I tried using a different connection (my iPhones connection) and a USB dongle. they dont have a firewall and it still didnt show anything..

Johnny4745

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2013, 07:28:40 PM »
Does this look like your Setup Page?
http://emulators.netcomm.com.au/NB1300Plus4W/index-1.htm

If it does, just disable the firewall.  Give Avast several minutes, and then check the firewall setting, and firewall log.  If it's not logging in about five minutes.  Turn you router firewall back on.

I don't know anything about the other devices.  I'm just trying to help get the firewall working on your computer.

Where is Tech Help when you need them?

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2013, 07:40:15 PM »
No its different. But my point is, if it doesnt show the statistics on the graph for other connections, it wont show for my router anyway.

And yeah, been over 2 days and still waiting to hear from Avast support.. or a dev atleast..

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2013, 10:24:14 PM »
Hello Drakul,
I didn't quite get if you have uninstall the firewall driver after all or not. Avast NDIS filter driver IS the firewall. If you uninstall it as a troubleshooting, it wouldn't lead to anything spectacular.

Could you please send the following:

1. a setup.log from your last installation - or even better a support package generated by avast
2. a screenshot of the properties window of all your network adapters
3. and the command outputs from the following commands:

reg query HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\AswFw /s
reg query HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\AswNdis /s
reg query HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\AswNdis2 /s
reg query HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\AswNdisFlt /s

Anyway, if during any traffic (like browsing) the graph on the main firewall page doesn't show a thing - it is not working.

Thanks.
Lukas.

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2013, 05:23:02 AM »
Hi Lukas,

I had some issues with Avast when V8 first came out. I tried to do a clean installation but it didnt let me install the firewall component. After checking the net I figured that it was because some error with Avast NDIS Filter. I got that driver error very often and I uninstalled it from device manager. Then I installed AIS 8 and the firewall component was installed without a problem, but NDIS Filter wasnt there under the network adapter. Basically I couldnt install Avast again without uninstalling the NDIS filter.

Last week I realized that its not showing any details on the graph so I was asked to do a clean installation again, and when I tried to reinstall NDIS filter was there again (with a driver error) and I couldnt install the firewall component. So I uninstalled it and installed AIS. Now there is no NDIS filter (earlier also it wasnt there but it showed up later on, I dont know how). But a clean installation did not install NDIS Filter.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116253.msg902735#msg902735   << This is what happened earlier when V8 was out.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=110735.msg870633#msg870633   << I had NDIS Filter errors during V7 as well..

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2013, 05:31:49 AM »
I ran the queries and the screenshots are below.

Query #4 gave an error by the way, I'm guessing thats the problem

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t70ao5   << you can download the support file from this link
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:34:03 AM by DraKuL »