Author Topic: Boot scan - "infected" Malaware file wont delete ?  (Read 3474 times)

felixdjb

Boot scan - "infected" Malaware file wont delete ?
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:31:29 PM »
PLEASE SEE MORE DETAILED DESCRIPTION IN POST 4

Hi
running avast free on windows XP.

when i run a boot scan it shows the following file as infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\felix\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\there-written.php-3cc3a5e9-2dabc24d.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

its the coca.class file within this zip.

During the boot scan it wont move to chest or delete. if i ignore it the avast scan result shows it as deleted however i can still view the file.

If i view this file & try to delete it, it wont allow it and gives the above message.

Is this anything to worry about ?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 05:25:43 PM by felixdjb »

thug4real

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:19:27 PM by RealNature »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Boot scan - "infected" Malaware file wont delete ?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »
C:\Documents and Settings\felix\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\there-written.php-3cc3a5e9-2dabc24d.zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged
if this is the message given by avast, then it is just a scan error message and not a detection
infected files are given a malware name

files that can not be scanned for whatever reason avast give, are just that....a file that cant be scanned, and does not mean they are infected

felixdjb

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 05:23:34 PM »
Sorry, my first post might be a little missleading.

During the boot scan avast says:

C:\Documents and Settings\felix\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\there-written.php-3cc3a5e9-2dabc24d.zip>coca.class is infected by java:malaware-gen(Trj)Action to take ? will not allow moving to chest / repair or delete. it gives an error code 42111
If i ignore and continue the scan then when i view the scan log in avast it shows "virus found". The log lists the file name,
 severity HIGH,
Status= Threat Java:malaware-gen (Trj)
Action Delete
Result Action successfull

However, when i search my C drive i can still see the file there.
If i try to delete i get the message:

So im confused -
Avast recognises this file as malaware and the scan results state that it has been deleted
But, the file is still on my C drive and will not allow deletion

Hope that makes sense !

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 09:20:42 PM »
C:\Documents and Settings\felix\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar\there-written.php-3cc3a5e9-2dabc24d.zip>coca.class is infected by java:malaware-gen(Trj)Action to take ? will not allow moving to chest / repair or delete. it gives an error code 42111
because detection is inside a compressed file, it will not rip it out

however, they are located in java cache, so clear that and it should be gone
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/plugin_cache.xml

or use CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ 

felixdjb

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 03:21:54 PM »
Thank You Pondus !

I cleared the cache but it did not get rid of it. Dowloaded CCleaner from your link and that got rid of it !

Much appreciated

:)