Author Topic: Boot-Time Scan  (Read 2629 times)

Johnny4745

Boot-Time Scan
« on: April 09, 2013, 04:22:22 PM »
I did a Boot-Time Scan for the first time.  It's so slow, I went to bed and let it run all night.  It found a Trojan, Java:malware-gen trj.

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7, and it saved all my old window files, and this is where the Boot-Time Scan found it.

I think it's strange that Avast never found it before.  I did many scans with Avast under the old windows, and it always showed zero files infected.

I just wonder why a Boot-Time scan wold find this, when scanning from the Avast program didn't find it?

The file is:  C:\Windows.old\Users\Johnny\AppData\LocalLow\sun\java\deployment\cache\6.0

I don't have Java on my computer, I removed it months ago when I read it was a security risk.

Alyus

Re: Boot-Time Scan
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 10:39:08 PM »
"Avast! Anti-Virus is a robust program that offers a boot-time scan.  This is a scan that runs prior to the Operating System fully loading drivers, startup programs, or other places where viruses or trojans can hide from scanners."

http://www.schmahl.net/avastbootscan.php

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 10:48:12 PM »
I just wonder why a Boot-Time scan wold find this, when scanning from the Avast program didn't find it?
maybe you got it before avast had a signature for it.....or it is a FP

if curious, upload to virustotal.com and test

bobo1

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 11:02:56 PM »
Normally in windows you can del OLD files within windows if the date stamp is older than your system time clock.
Use ccleaner to get rid of all junk files.

The Old trace file related to java cache and if you have removed java can be removed
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:11:07 PM by bobo1 »

Johnny4745

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 11:35:20 PM »

When I did that clean install, all of the old files were kept.  66 Gigabytes of them.

I did delete all of them after that Trojan was found.

I'm running Windows 7 now, but my computer still has a recovery partition for Vista.  Is there anyway that partition could get infected and cause trouble?  Should I include it in every scan?