Author Topic: What FireWall does Avast people Recommend?  (Read 29894 times)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: What FireWall does Avast people Recommend?
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2005, 09:00:26 AM »
dld

Sorry for the outdated advice.  :-[

I don't actually run Kerio on a network, but I'd remembered seeing that advice.

I wonder why the new version is causing you problems. According to this review (which was the one which prompted me to insall Kerio) the default instalation should work fine:

http://www.pcw.co.uk/products/software/1153296

"Kerio's Personal Firewall is a breeze to install; on our test system it correctly spotted the home Lan and asked if it was to be trusted. The default settings caused no problems with file transfer over the network, while protecting the PC from the rest of the Internet."
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Arup

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2005, 10:04:30 AM »
Kerio 2.15, Jetico, NetVeda, Filseclab, these are the ones that I have tested thoroughly and find them very nice, Jetico is truly powerful with very good sandboxing, however it takes an experienced user to set it up.

Zone Alarm Free is good for novices but may have issues with Web Shield NetVeda is truly good and offers content filtering and LAN access management. They all work fine with Avast Web Shield and mail scanner which is important as some firewalls have issues with them.

GYL

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2005, 01:28:57 PM »
DLD. sp2 firewall is good for inbound (as good as ZA).You can instal PREVX,and nothing will be installed without you know.
Avast + SP2 FW+Prevx+spybot+spywareblaster :all is ok for me!

ps:I agree with Bob,this thread ought to be in general forum
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 01:32:54 PM by GYL »

Spyros

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2005, 01:36:54 PM »
Kerio 2.15, Jetico, NetVeda, Filseclab, these are the ones that I have tested thoroughly and find them very nice, Jetico is truly powerful with very good sandboxing, however it takes an experienced user to set it up.

Zone Alarm Free is good for novices but may have issues with Web Shield NetVeda is truly good and offers content filtering and LAN access management. They all work fine with Avast Web Shield and mail scanner which is important as some firewalls have issues with them.

Arup, ZA doesn't have any problems on my machine with Web Shield (unlike Sygate, which was my favorite firewall in the past). Jetico messed-up my PC very bad and uninstalling was extremely difficult. I've heard some good things about Filseclab --> can you give me your opinion about it?

Arup

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2005, 03:47:01 PM »
Filseclab is very good and light, the interface takes getting used to but it gives lots of control, NetVeda is another firewall you can look into. Jetico is the best, far better sandboxing than Tiny at half the resource consumption, earlier versions had the un-install problems especially if it was uninstalled while still running in the background, they have addressed the problem since and now it uninstalls flawlessly. You can give the latest edition a try, of all the firewalls out there, this one features the best Stateful Inspection with myriads of choices.

I too was a long time Sygate user, however since I discovered the loopback issue, I decided to take it off as Avast is too precious for me to loose.