Author Topic: What type of files will be send to avast server automatically?  (Read 2880 times)

jack2013

Hello,

I have read the EULA and just want to clarify 1 thing...

What type of files will  be send to avast as "suspicious samples"?
exe, msi, vbs... or something else?

As some file type may contain personal/sensitive data ( for example a word / excel /db file ), it will be a problem if they are sent without the user's knowledge.

jack2013

Re: What type of files will be send to avast server automatically?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 03:06:03 PM »
anyone have idea? :o

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 04:06:23 PM »
Only infectables, so EXE, SCR, VBS, JS etc etc. DOC, PDF, XLS etc are not submitted at all for the exact reasons you've stated (they may contain sensitive information as they are document files.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

jack2013

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:02:37 AM »
thanks for the clarification :)

ManyQs

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 04:47:29 AM »
The post that indicates EXE files are not submitted needs revising.

8.2 Information and files (including executable files) on your computer identified by the Software as potentially infected, together with the information about the nature of identified threats;

And I'd like to quote another website on a point regarding the Avast EULA to solicit feedback, please.  It is also related to that same post.

From _ http://www.rationallyparanoid.com/articles/avast-windows.html

We don't wish to single out AVAST on this as they are certainly not the only antivirus vendor whose EULA state that they can collect copies of the files identified as potentially infected, however one would wish that the EULA would clarify this important detail. For example in Avira's EULA they state that "Avira sends suspicious programs only (executable files) to its secure EU data centers [...] Files such as pdf, doc, xls as well other personal data, like pictures and videos are not being automatically sent." And it could very well be that avast! as well does not send back certain files (for example one would think that there is a file limit since they probably don't want to receive from its millions of users video files that are gigabytes in size) however with such an EULA one does not know what those limits are.

The feedback, possibly should be termed clarification, ―― if I may I'd like to know source for that information about PDF, DOC, XLS, etc. files not being submitted.

Thank you.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 09:58:14 AM »
 ???
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

ManyQs

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 10:32:23 AM »
Do you have a specific question, mchain?  Is your response using that picture meant to indicate disapproval? 

I understand that picture is a substitute for Huh.

That sort of surprises me because it hardly seems to fit the manner of communication we are informed by one of our members that frequently advises us on proper etiquette in this community.  That is, if all community members are meant to follow the same guidelines of conduct.

I am referring to the following guidelines on communications and forum manners which were recently posted:

Simple, antagonizing someone doesn't solve their problem. This is a help forum therefore most of those posting in here have a problem.

If you can't help with a problem, simply learn from those that solve the problem.  Ignore the post when you can't help.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=117411.msg942497#msg942497

On June 4th of this month we see this:

Do you have anything useful to contribute towards solving the problem some users appear to be having or are you just here to bitch[?]

If you can't help or contribute, stop complaining. You aren't accomplishing anything.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=125328.msg948688#msg948688

So as to not allow this to become such a problem and sideline us in this thread I will try and see if this might help.

I see it posted that exe files, to note just one format, "are not submitted at all" BUT the EULA section I quote seems to contradict that statement.

I am asking for clarification.  Is that a problem?

Other clarification on the same subject of files that are automatically submitted is asked at another website and as I am also wondering the same thing as that person at that other website and because that person wrote that so well I chose to post that section of that questioning from that website.  Is that a problem, mchain?  Does that break a rule here?

In fact, have I broken any rules in this thread?