Author Topic: Strange problem with Internet Explorer  (Read 18107 times)

punkybouy

Re: Strange problem with Internet Explorer
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2005, 12:47:40 AM »
I too have the same problem ever since the program was automatically updated last week to the new version 4.6.623.  If I stop Web Shield everything is fine.  Not only that I can " restart" the module after 20 minutes and while is still indicates it is waiting for a subsystem to start I can surf just fine.  I just tried disabling Zone Alarm but still can't get Web Shield to run without indicating it is waiting for a subsytem to start.  For the record I am running XP with SP2 750 MB RAM.
If Web Shield is a new feature I'll just disable it for now.  I have used Avast for 2 years and think its a great product. 

royboy

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2005, 03:59:06 AM »
Same problem started occurring for me yesterday. Couldn't browse anything either with IE or Firefox. Uninstalled avast and everything became fine again. Downloaded and installed the newest version of avast. Everything good now. Fingers crossed.

xzot

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2005, 04:09:48 AM »
Yep, me to.  I have been experiencing problems for several days.  I realised that it was IE related when Navigator worked fine.  If I stop the webshield, no problems.  I have been following the various threads about probs with webshield and have tried the suggested 'fixes' but the only way for me to browse with IE is if webshield is stopped.
I am running W2K(sp4), IE6(sp1), Kerio Persional Firewall & Spybot.

paulorox

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2005, 08:59:12 AM »
I am also experiencing this problem. It only seems to be with Web browsers - it happens with both IE and Firefox.

I can normally browse for around 20 mins after turning the PC on or rebooting before the problem occurs.

I can use the ping and tracert command prompt fine. Sometime I can browse to https sites ok but at others even they fail.

MSN and email all work fine.

onzey

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2005, 08:10:23 PM »
Hi

Just joined to say I have this problem too.

Since discovering that avast was the problem (and not firewall, connection, etc.) and looking here, I have tried stopping and restarting Webshield and access to webpages is restored.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2005, 12:27:03 AM »
Hi

Just joined to say I have this problem too.

Since discovering that avast was the problem (and not firewall, connection, etc.) and looking here, I have tried stopping and restarting Webshield and access to webpages is restored.
How did you discover this? If you only stopped web shield, then you have yet to positively identify the cause.

Yes, stopping web shield will seem to resolve the problem, however, is the firewall refusing access to the ashWebSv.exe (web shield) if so then web shield can't work.

You need to identify the exact cause of the problem, web shield, firewall or do you need to set-up the proxy manually if you are using win98.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

onzey

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2005, 04:28:08 PM »
I had tried exiting my firewall or setting it to "Allow all" and that did not help.   Then found this thread where people were having the same problem and started to look at avast.

(ashWebSv.exe is set to "Allow" in my firewall application).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2005, 04:52:37 PM »
Five new users posted only here and seem that do not come back...
Do they found the answer? Is it a WebShield problem...?
The best things in life are free.

rika

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2005, 04:54:56 PM »
 I downloaded Free Avast 4.6 a couple of days ago, and immediately began to have problems. First with ZoneAlarm - which blocked Internet access completely. (Closing down ZA everything would work just fine, but of course this was not a safe option..)

I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and re-installed it but the problem persisted. Now yesterday, everything seemed to work at first, (the system had slowed down considerably, though) but then the system slowed down, and finally both IE and Firefox flipped, and trying to close down the computer everything just paralized.

I also get this short error notice (which I hardly have time to read ) when closing the computer, saying that "there is an error in the memory XXXXXXX that refers to XXXXXXXX...memory can't be "written""

And everything worked just fine before I installed avast.

I'll probably get rid of this avast if I don't find a solution soon-...  

FastGame

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2005, 06:44:55 PM »
I downloaded Free Avast 4.6 a couple of days ago, and immediately began to have problems. First with ZoneAlarm - which blocked Internet access completely. (Closing down ZA everything would work just fine, but of course this was not a safe option..)

I uninstalled ZoneAlarm and re-installed it but the problem persisted. Now yesterday, everything seemed to work at first, (the system had slowed down considerably, though) but then the system slowed down, and finally both IE and Firefox flipped, and trying to close down the computer everything just paralized.

I also get this short error notice (which I hardly have time to read ) when closing the computer, saying that "there is an error in the memory XXXXXXX that refers to XXXXXXXX...memory can't be "written""

And everything worked just fine before I installed avast.

I'll probably get rid of this avast if I don't find a solution soon-...   

What are your system spec's ? Avast! & ZoneAlarm are working fine together for many, got to be some other conflict......

xzot

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2005, 10:01:11 PM »
Five new users posted only here and seem that do not come back...
Do they found the answer? Is it a WebShield problem...?

Sorry Technical I'm still here.  Haven't posted as I have nothing new to add.  I have been reading various threads about this issue and have been waiting for a either a new realease or a fix of our problem.  I believe webshield is the problem as I can browse fine with navigator but not with IE.  Stop the webshield and I have no problems.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2005, 10:40:05 PM »
Sorry Technical I'm still here.

No, it's my fault... Sometimes I get impatient and bitter.
This problem, for me, is related to the firewall (or even a local proxy) and avast WebShield.
Anyway, I'm not in conditions to debbug it...
Keep tuned and let's see if we succeed on troubleshooting it.
The best things in life are free.

rika

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2005, 10:44:54 PM »
 Same here. I am currently without webshield. With the webshield on, I am no longer able to access Internet, mainly because Zone Alarm blocks the Internet access.
Yet even now the whole system is running slow. And again, these problems did not exist before I installed Avast. 
The system I have on my laptop:

XP Home Edition (SP1)

518Mhz  192 Mt Ram

Avast Home edition, version Mar 2005 4.6.623       updated 22.3.  0512-0

Zone Alarm version 5.5.062.011

Don't want to give up yet since I've heard so many positive comments about Avast, even though it's been a rough start...

onzey

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2005, 11:47:32 PM »
I have had avast (including Webshield) and my firewall (Sygate free version) both running as normal today and experienced no problems at all.

FransH

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2005, 12:15:14 AM »
Sorry Technical I'm still here.

No, it's my fault... Sometimes I get impatient and bitter.
This problem, for me, is related to the firewall (or even a local proxy) and avast WebShield.
Anyway, I'm not in conditions to debbug it...
Keep tuned and let's see if we succeed on troubleshooting it.

I already stated earlier in this thread. That before the last update there was no problem with Avast or the webshield service. I was running Avast with the webshield on. I'm running Windows XP prof servicepack2 with the latest updates. I'm not running a firewall other than provided by Windows XP. All in the default settings. I didn't change anything last weeks in my settings (only tried some settings suggested in this and other threads), neither installed new programs.
Last week there was a update from Avast. As usual I installed that update. After that I got problems with IE accessing the internet.
First I didn't think it was Avast. I checked the line with my provider. Then I discovered that after the update of Avast, when I disabled the webshieldservice, I can access the internet without any problem. When I switch webshield on the same problem as described earlier in this and other threads occur to me.
Also in another thread a certain techie101 acknowledged that there is a problem with the webshield (he is an evangelist and who would not believe an evangelist? ;) and the Avast team is working on it. So maybe a suggestion: bring the webshield back in the state as it was before the last update or disable this service temporarely. And another suggestion: Make a sticky about the problem with the webshield and state that the Avast team is working on it. Then we all shall wait in confidence for the next update.
But maybe I'm too simple and logical?....................................