Author Topic: Boot-time scan doesn't work  (Read 6519 times)

ejwahl

Boot-time scan doesn't work
« on: March 06, 2003, 04:33:10 AM »
I installed Avast 4 Pro (demo) today on a Win XP Home machine.  Scheduling a boot-time scan does not work.  The screen pops up during the boot sequence and reports that 0 files were scanned and then proceeds to boot XP.  I've tried selecting all local disks and C:\Windows\System32 but nothing is scanned.  If I try to schedule again it shows that the schedule is blank, as if I had never scheduled a boot-time scan.

I previously had Avast 4 Home installed but completely uninstalled it and rebooted before installing the Pro trial version.  The boot-time scan worked fine in the Home version.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Erich

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Boot-time scan doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 09:43:59 AM »
WOW COOL FISH!! Is that a real picture of you???  ;D ;D

Back to your Q, what version of avast do you have? 4.0.172?

Please send me the report file - <avast4>\data\report\aswBoot.log. Doesn't the program give you any warning/error messages?

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: March 06, 2003, 09:44:31 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

ejwahl

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 10:20:10 PM »
I must schedule a boot-time scan every time before I reboot (rather than schedule it once and it runs every time I reboot) with the new aswBoot.exe that you sent me.  Is that a bug or a feature?

Thanks,
Erich

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 09:16:55 AM »
This is a feature. We didn't expect that anyone would like to run it every time when starting the computer as usually it takes a long time to complete (you can always abort it by pressing Esc, though...).

Would like to see this feature added in the next release? For us, it wouldn't really be a problem... ;)

For other users: there was a bug in the boot-time scan module in version 4.0.172 and earlier (with the symptoms described in the first post of this thread). It will be fixed in the next program update.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.