Author Topic: HELP, my personal site was flagged as a malicious URL  (Read 2870 times)

solarnoise

HELP, my personal site was flagged as a malicious URL
« on: April 22, 2013, 06:53:17 AM »
I am working on my portfolio website, and am applying to jobs with it THIS WEEK, starting TOMORROW.

The site is barely even in development, and today Avast said that my URL is malicious.

The URL is: derrickb.net

I don't understand....there's barely any scripting, it's mostly just HTML and CSS... it's being hosted on my alumni web space at my old college.

I ran it through a scanner and it said my site is "benign", so what is going on?? I need help on this quick, if I can't use this URL then I will need to buy a new one asap and update my resume and everything =(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: HELP, my personal site was flagged as a malicious URL
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:05:10 AM »
URL:mal means it is on a block list.....for whatever reason, does not have to be infected

if you think it is wrong, report it here.   http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php
you may add a link to this topic in case they reply here

solarnoise

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 08:17:14 AM »
URL:mal means it is on a block list.....for whatever reason, does not have to be infected

if you think it is wrong, report it here.   http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php
you may add a link to this topic in case they reply here

I'd definitely say it's wrong... I haven't used the domain at all since I registered it over a year ago.  I've been casually developing the index page for a few days, and BAM it's blacklisted.. I'd REALLY like to know the criteria they used for blacklisting it.

The absolute only thing I can think of, is I use URL Frame redirection with my domain name company, so they redirect the URL to my web hosting elsewhere.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 08:20:15 AM »
The URL is: derrickb.net

Zulu and Sucuri give it clean, use the link provided by Pondus to report a FP.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: HELP, my personal site was flagged as a malicious URL [SOLVED]
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 01:10:44 PM »
Now the website can be normally reached without an avast! alert,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

solarnoise

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 10:57:47 PM »
The response to my ticket was very fast!  Thank you very much..

I'm still troubled that the URL was flagged to begin with, as Asyn pointed out there was nothing fishy going on in the markup.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 07:52:10 AM »
Hi solarnoise,

The reasons for blocking could be various. Another domain on the same IP could have led to a general IP block. Domain might have appeared in a blacklist of some sort. Main thing is everything should be OK now,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!