Author Topic: Webshield and Kerio 4.1.2 web filtering  (Read 2834 times)

artamangr

Webshield and Kerio 4.1.2 web filtering
« on: March 20, 2005, 08:40:06 PM »
Hi everyone,
This morning i downloaded and installed the latest version of avast home (4.6.623) from the avast website (that is i didnt apply the patch for the webshield)
Everything works fine and i havent experienced so far any problems opening pages or downloading files using IE, Maxthon, Firefox, Opera and Avant (it seems that avant browser is supported after all- when downloading something using avant, i can see from the kerio connections window that it goes through the webshield).
However, i have a problem with kerio web filtering module. I have set it to block pop ups, advertisements, referers and foreign cookies (see screenshot, with webshield not activated). But when i have the webshield activated it seems that the web filtering does nothing. All the values remain zero, even though i browse the same pages. And the advertisements that didnt appear before, now appear.
I am using windows xp sp2 and in kerio i have only the loopback 127.0.0.1 as trusted area.
Thank you for any answer/suggestion.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Webshield and Kerio 4.1.2 web filtering
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 09:53:38 PM »
Yes, you are right. This is because the Kerio firewall only filters contents in well-known browsers, and since avast v4.6, the requests are not coming directly from the browser but rather from the avast's WebShield module.

We've notified the Kerio guys about this and they agreed to put WebShield on the list of "trusted" browsers, thus reenabling the filtering. The fix should first appear in KPF 4.2 beta 5 that should be released after the Easter.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

artamangr

Re: Webshield and Kerio 4.1.2 web filtering
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 03:32:48 PM »
Thanks a lot for your answer Vlk.
Apart form this small 'avast webshield-kerio' incompatibility everything else works absolutely fine. I really don't  understand why other people get to report so many problems regarding webshield.