Author Topic: Loose Internet Operation  (Read 2556 times)

Andyslogos

Loose Internet Operation
« on: March 21, 2005, 12:03:03 AM »
Hi there

I use Win 98 and have to set up Internet options/connections/settings/proxy server to Local Host & port no. 1280 as per instructions for the Web Scanner to work, WHICH IT DOES PERFECTLY :-)

My 'problem' is I just found out if I was to 'run' my windows 'cleaner' to remove cookies, temp files etc I then immediately loose my ability to 'surf' !!
All web pages are not found.

If I then TURN OFF proxy server in settings EVERYTHING works OK again (except for avast web scanning)

To get Web scanning to work I have to re-boot the PC and reset the Proxy server to ON.

My 'cleaner' is obviously deleting a file that Avast NEEDS, I have included a list of files that are deleted & was hoping that someone could look at the list and tell me which file is causing the 'problem'

Thanks in advance

Andy  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Loose Internet Operation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 12:52:38 AM »
This has been covered in a previous thread and it would appear that the deletion of the _avast4_ in the Temp folder can impact on the functioning of web shield.

This file should be recreated if you reboot. This is the path in XP C:\Documents and Settings\YourUsername\Local Settings\Temp\_avast4_ so it will be slightly different in 98 so a search for _avast4_

This may be in one of the windows temp or system folders. The safest thing is only to run the cleaner at the end of the day before shutting down the computer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Andyslogos

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 03:38:10 PM »
Hi David

Thanks very much for that , I'll see if I can track it down  ;D

stevejrc

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 07:08:41 PM »
crap cleaner is better as it only deletes temp files accessed more than 48hrs ago, so no problems with "in use" files. deletes cookies etc too..

http://www.ccleaner.com