Author Topic: How much RAM does your computer have?  (Read 39157 times)

Ddm5

Re: How much RAM does your computer have?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 03:57:50 AM »
Specs in signature, got an extra spare set of 8gb for a total of 16Gb, still undecided about wether or not to throw it in my system, or wait until the warranty is up.

Ddm5

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 04:00:43 AM »
Would the same apply when switching from XP to Windows 7?

As I personally do not like many aspects of Windows 8, would it be worth keeping it as the computer's primary OS instead of downgrading?

Also: Upgrading the family computer isn't much of an option. The hardware itself was "Designed for Windows XP".

Donovan, I'm a fan of Win7, but the jump from Winxp to 7 without atleast 1.5 - 2.5Gb of ram would cause quite a lot of idle lag, my girlfriend has a laptop with 1gig running 32bit Win7 and that seems to lag during general use, freezing, etc, my gaming desktop, i.e this one, the max I've been able to get out of my ram was 6Gb during a bad Gmod server which added 40 Processes, (Due to a plugin, going off topic), but you get the picture.

Dch48

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 04:48:29 AM »
Amazing that with all the systems I've converted to Windows 8, I never ran into a problem
except my Dell Vostro Mini and even that one was eventually converted once I was able to change the
"unchangeable" Screen size:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93544.msg840792#msg840792
The drivers I'm talking about are the ones for special keybord functions like  volume control, shortcuts to browsers, or other programs, brightness, etc. Many laptops have these features and the manufacturers don't always provide drivers for Windows versions other than the one the machine was built for and came with. Yes, you can use the machine without those features but why should you have to?

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 06:22:15 AM »
My Win7 64 bit machine is used for 3D gaming and does just fine with 6GB of DDR3 1333 dual channel RAM. 512mb of that is dedicated to the graphics.  I also have set the page file to a fixed 512mb and have had no problems. The XP and Vista machines both have 2GB and run well that way, especially the XP one which only has DDR memory. The Vista one has faster DDR2 RAM.

That's amazing! It's nice to know someone that has experience with 3D gaming.

Do you think that the XP computer is faster than the Vista computer?

Donovan, I'm a fan of Win7, but the jump from Winxp to 7 without atleast 1.5 - 2.5Gb of ram would cause quite a lot of idle lag, my girlfriend has a laptop with 1gig running 32bit Win7 and that seems to lag during general use, freezing, etc, my gaming desktop, i.e this one, the max I've been able to get out of my ram was 6Gb during a bad Gmod server which added 40 Processes, (Due to a plugin, going off topic), but you get the picture.

I don't use XP. I was just using that as an example.

The leveno laptop that I will be getting has 16gb ram and comes with Windows 8. I am assuming that any computer can run decently with 4gb and more advanced multitasking can be done with 8gb ram.

I am still unsure rather I want to keep Windows 8 or downgrade to Windows 7, however.

Here are the specs:
Processor: 3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Operating system: Windows 8 64
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
Memory: 16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
Display: 15.6" FHD LED Glare Wedge 1920x1080
Hard Drive: 1TB 5400 RPM+16GB SSD
Battery: 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
Network Card: Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
Bluetooth: Bluetooth Version 4.0
Warranty: One year
Form Factor: Notebook
Camera: Integrated HD Camera
HDMI: HDMI (Out)

Like I said, I will be using this laptop for heavy multitasking work, VMs, gaming, etc, and I want it to last for the next few years. I plan on getting a 128GB SSD for the new laptop and putting the OS on it for faster boot times, etc..

It's 300$ off this week. That's a really, really good deal and it features everything that I'd want from a new computer.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:24:00 AM by !Donovan »
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 06:58:04 AM »
Desktop, Win7X64 with 16GB of RAM, I use it for Watching and editing videos and the web.
Laptop, Win7X64 with 8GB of RAM because that's all it would hold.  ;D
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 07:37:07 AM »
Stick with the win8 Donovan, it's a faster os and once you put on a start menu replacement ( Start8, Classic Shell ) 99% of the problems are solved and it's just like win7 in functionality if you never go to the menu screen like myself :)

I've got 16 Gb here and it's more than enough with several tabs open video editing going on in the background plus my flight simulator running, I've never seen my memory exceed 25% so I don't need the 32GB upgrade I can have.

Dch48

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 11:02:07 AM »
That's amazing! It's nice to know someone that has experience with 3D gaming.

Do you think that the XP computer is faster than the Vista computer?
Yes the XP computer which is an HP laptop is faster than the Vista desktop listed in my signature but it also has a better and faster CPU. It has an AMD Turion ML-34 running at 1.8ghz.The Vista machine is very slow and takes 3 minutes to boot into a useable state. Mostly because it takes that long to establish an internet connection. I can't find the cause of that but I have read that it may have something to do with the Acer recovery system that came pre-installed on it. If it was mine, I would wipe it clean and install Win7 but it's owner wants to keep it the way it came.

That Lenovo you want looks like an awesome laptop. It should be able to handle anything you throw at it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:08:22 AM by Dch48 »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 06:21:36 PM »
Stick with the win8 Donovan, it's a faster os and once you put on a start menu replacement ( Start8, Classic Shell ) 99% of the problems are solved and it's just like win7 in functionality if you never go to the menu screen like myself :)

I've got 16 Gb here and it's more than enough with several tabs open video editing going on in the background plus my flight simulator running, I've never seen my memory exceed 25% so I don't need the 32GB upgrade I can have.

I have to agree with Craig, Win8 is a lightening fast OS and boots up in just seconds! My HP with 8GB of Ram is plenty and seldom hits 30% used. I just use Classic Start Menu to bypass Win8 Metro crap.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 10:30:52 PM »

I have to agree with Craig, Win8 is a lightening fast OS and boots up in just seconds! My HP with 8GB of Ram is plenty and seldom hits 30% used. I just use Classic Start Menu to bypass Win8 Metro crap.
I think I've now preached that for over 1 year.... :)  (Oh almost forgot, Evangelists are supposed to preach.)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 03:40:14 PM »
Windows 8 is more of a touch-screen interface but I'm not interested in touch-screen laptops. Why? Simply because the vast amount of fingerprints on the screen would defeat the whole purpose of this laptop.

Judging from others, Windows 7 is very customizable. And the simplistic Windows 8? I'd assume not.

This Windows 7 screenshot was taken in 2010. Imagine the possibilities for customization now that we're in 2013.

With that being said, I would personally choose appearance over performance. With the OS on the SSD, Windows 7 should load in about 3-4 seconds on average. I am guessing that I wouldn't notice much of a difference in performance between Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Window 8 is geared towards more simplistic users. I would like to have full advantage of the OS. I will be happier that way.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:44:06 PM by !Donovan »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 03:54:10 PM »
Window 8 is geared towards more simplistic users. I would like to have full advantage of the OS. I will be happier that way.
You obviously have a lot to learn about Windows 8.
As someone who has used Windows since Windows 3, Windows 8 is the easiest most powerful and securest OS Microsoft has released to date.
You do need to use it in order to realize that fact. I don't own a touch screen so that part of your description doesn't apply to me.
I hardly ever touch the "Modern" desktop and my system boots directly to the normal, (old) desktop and I also have the start menu which allows
me to access both my programs and the apps on the "Modern" desktop.
Eventually, Microsoft will realize that what they have created is worth making accessible to those of us that don't own a Windows Phone.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 04:12:18 PM »
Donovan there isn't anything you can do on win7 that you cant perform on win8 and like Bob I also don't have touch screen and I boot straight to desktop totally ignoring the metro screen altogether.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 04:14:17 PM »
Are you saying that I can have transparency in Windows 8?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 04:20:14 PM »
Are you saying that I can have transparency in Windows 8?
Start8 and Classic Start will give you the option of whether you want transparency in the taskbar but no full transparency in win8, I don't miss transparency at all really and it's only just another resource leech.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2013, 04:29:42 PM »
...What is full transparency?