Author Topic: Windows 98 spyware removal  (Read 3475 times)

kakapo

Windows 98 spyware removal
« on: March 21, 2005, 10:28:24 PM »
Greetings all

A friend asked me why his computer running '98 was so slow. I had a look, and it was SOOOO slow, I guessed it was crawling with spyware. Tried to d/l Spybot S&D but his internet connection kept getting disconnected. Looked in Add/Remove and there was Bargain Buddy - tried removing it but of course it wouldn't GO. There is other malware there too. He also has 2 AV programs fighting each other - NAV 2001 and AVG. He was unaware of malware/spyware but WILL learn about it. ;)

He begged me to clean it. I explained I am unfamiliar with '98 and a little nervous of doing more harm than good. We live far from computer repair shops and those close to us really cannot be trusted. We are both relucant to take it there.

Bearing in mind that my experience of computers started with XP, and although I have fixed my own several times with help from this and other forums, (I am not as blonde as I look and can follow basic instruction) do the more experienced people here think I could help my friend, or should I tell him "Sorry. You're doomed."?

Are there any traps for young players when cleaning '98?
Is there something I can do to help that will not totally trash his already sick system? I can burn tools to disc and take them with me, but fear that his computer will simply die.......

Any ideas please?

Many thanks
kakapo

niko

Re: Windows 98 spyware removal
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 11:05:27 PM »
Hi Kakapo,
Your friend should make a backup for his data...and switch to XP 8)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 11:16:48 PM »
Have you seen this? It's a good cleaning step-through and pretty system non-specific.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=50662

You'll have to skip step 11, obviously, and unintall one of the virus programs.

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 11:20:43 PM »
Your/his best starting point is download avast, get rid of NAV2001 (you/he may have to check out their web site for instructions, see below) and AVG and installing avast.

This link is for NAV2004 but from here you should be able to find NAV2001 removal instructions.
Manual Removal NAV 2004 - Manual Removal NAV 2004

Secondly get and run hijackthis, from Eddy's Website click the "HiJackThis Section" and also the "Malware removal instructions and applications" section, and follow the directions there and get back to us if you need more help....

Simple google search for "Bargain Buddy removal" (with quotes), returned loads (531) of hits, this is the first one. Google is your friend.
http://www.pchell.com/support/bargainbuddy.shtml
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security