Author Topic: Help With Chitika popups please  (Read 3638 times)

strappy01

Help With Chitika popups please
« on: March 18, 2013, 12:18:12 AM »
Hi...can't get rid of Chitika popups on my wife's computer.  I can't get to the computer directly so had to run the programs remotely using TeamViewer.  Not sure if that makes a difference with the logs.  Also, I couldn't run AdwCleaner remotely without locking up.  I had my wife do it locally and her AVG antivirus wouldn't let it complete.  She could select "delete" but AVG would stop it and remove the files before completion.

I did run Malwarebytes, OTL, and aswMBR...logs attached.

Thanks for any help!!

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Help With Chitika popups please
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:09:07 AM »
hey and welcome to the forum could you attach the malwarebytes log to please. i will send a message to on of our expert here on the forum on your topic.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
This should kill it

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:Commands
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

Sarah Chitika

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 04:55:35 PM »
This comment is in regards to the "Chitika Virus" that has mistakenly been associated with Chitika, an online ad network. Chitika ads are not in any way viruses, and we do not serve any sort of pop-up or pop-under ads. A third party has been using Chitika's name on a virus that they have created, which is not at all affiliated with us. The best way to differentiate whether or not the Chitika ad you are seeing is valid or not is to ask yourself these questions:
- Does the ad show a blue link in the upper right corner that says Chitika? If so, it is not a valid Chitika ad.
- Does the ad have a link on the bottom right corner that says "opt out"? If not, this is not a valid Chitika ad.
- Is the hover ad following you around the internet and not closing when prompted? If the ad is in the bottom right corner of your screen and does not close after you click the "x" it is not a Chitika ad.
We are currently working with the proper authorities to find out who may be behind this. To learn more about Chitika's Privacy Policy, visit http://chitika.com/privacy. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact us at support@chitika.com.

strappy01

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 06:45:39 PM »
Thanks so much for the help.  Reran OTL and it didn't produce a file called "extras" this time....only the OTL file (attached).  I've also posted the log generated after running the fix.  Just completed remotely via TeamViewer.  Haven't verified yet that the unwanted popups are gone.

Will check and reply shortly....thanks again.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 06:48:49 PM »
Reran OTL and it didn't produce a file called "extras" this time.
the extra log is only produced at first run.....and is just some extra tech info

AndyFeenix

Sarah Chitika
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 06:24:36 PM »
Are these yours Sarah? They are the most annoying ads I've ever dealt with! I would, out of stubborn anger, never purchase any product advertised in this way! If these are yours, how do I opt out? They seem to have made themselves at home on my forum....lucky me.

Thanks,

Andy Feenix
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:27:05 PM by AndyFeenix »