Author Topic: Avast large files taking up space on my HD  (Read 7868 times)

Aitrusskyy

Avast large files taking up space on my HD
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:53:57 PM »
I've been using Avast for many years and never ran into this issue. Wondering if someone can make sense of it.

I am running Avast 8 Free 8.0.1483
Windows 8 64bit on an Asus Laptop

I frequently use a well known cleaning program to clean temp files called "ccleaner". Today I ran this program and it showed the following results which were surprising to me.

I am aware that obviously Avast does not support ccleaner and is not affiliated with it in any way. But ccleaner doesn't have much to do with it except for the fact that it cleared those temp files. Why are those files so big? I have Avast on several Windows 7 machines as well and I've never seen that before.

I've had this laptop about 2 weeks now. I'd hate to wonder what'd happen if I never bothered to use a program like that to clear temp files lol :P

iroc9555

Re: Avast large files taking up space on my HD
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 02:05:44 AM »
Aitrusskyy welcome to Avast!

I do not let CCleaner to handle Avast! files temps or no temps. I let Avast! to do his own cleaning. However, it is obvious that you got too many unpxxxxxx.mdmp files. These files are created by Avast! when it encounter problems within itself so they are dump files. I can not see the dates of the files so I cannot tell you if they are being created or were created in the past. If they are being created, dates are recent, it is better to reinstall Avast! clean. You said you got the laptop 2 weeks ago. is it brand new ? Did you properly uninstall the AV, even if it was a trial inactve version, it got before installing Avast! ?

Install from scratch:

1.) Very important to remove all remains of other AVs installed before Avast. Use this site to execute uninstall utilities for other AVs.

http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

2.) Download and save to your desktop aswclear.exe

3.) Download and save a fresh copy of Avast!.

http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe

4.) Open Avast! > Settings > Troubleshooting > Uncheck " Enable Avast! self-defense module ".

5.) Uninstall Avast! normally through Control Panel > Programs & feature ( Vista, W7 ) or Add and remove programs ( XP ). Reboot. If you can not complete this step, continue with step # 6   

6.) Even if you were able to uninstall Avast! in step # 5, it is important to run aswclear.exe in safe mode for any Avast! you may have had before,e.g. v.6 o v.7, and then for v. 8. Reboot into normal mode after uninstall.

NOTE: aswclear has the ability to make your system go into Safe Mode. Just run it in normal mode and follow instructions.

7.) Reinstall fresh copy of Avast! and reboot.

Be aware. Avast! will offer Chrome during installment. Remember to opt-out if you do not want it.

Aitrusskyy

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »
I appreciate the quick response. You did in fact answer the question of what those files were. I assume they were big because my Avast installation was possibly having multiple issues and creating large bug files.

I did purchase the PC 2 weeks ago brand new from Microcenter. It came with the typical Norton 30 day trial and I immediately uninstalled it using the Norton Removal Tool which pretty much removes every spec of Norton. I then installed Avast and it appeared to be working normally (no error messages or anything). Just a few weeks later I run ccleaner and it removes 2GB almost  of Avast dump files which was something I have not seen yet.

I followed the steps you gave me to the "T" and so far everything is fine. I guess I'll keep an eye on those files. My avast is set to automatically send anon info to help the advancement of Avast so hopefully they gather some data from that if it keeps happening.

Asus K55N
Windows 8 64bit
AMD Quad Core 4500
4 GB RAM
500 GB HD

All Windows Updates are current.

Thanks Iroc

iroc9555

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 12:28:04 AM »
I appreciate the quick response. You did in fact answer the question of what those files were. I assume they were big because my Avast installation was possibly having multiple issues and creating large bug files.

I did purchase the PC 2 weeks ago brand new from Microcenter. It came with the typical Norton 30 day trial and I immediately uninstalled it using the Norton Removal Tool which pretty much removes every spec of Norton. I then installed Avast and it appeared to be working normally (no error messages or anything). Just a few weeks later I run ccleaner and it removes 2GB almost  of Avast dump files which was something I have not seen yet.

I followed the steps you gave me to the "T" and so far everything is fine. I guess I'll keep an eye on those files. My avast is set to automatically send anon info to help the advancement of Avast so hopefully they gather some data from that if it keeps happening.

Asus K55N
Windows 8 64bit
AMD Quad Core 4500
4 GB RAM
500 GB HD

All Windows Updates are current.

Thanks Iroc

You are welcome ;). Yes keep an eye on them and see if you still have problems.